Sertraline and Mirtzapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Been on Sertraline 200mg for over a decade but has pooped out twice in the last year and currently have really bad anxiety all day and insomnia. Dr has prescribed 15mg Mirtzapine as an augmentation strategy as they don't want me to go higher than 200mg Sertraline.

Apparently, Sert and Mirtz have a good track record. I've only been on the Mirtz for 1 week and there is constant battle between feel good (seretonin) rushes and hideous (anxiety). My Insomnia has lessended but still getting broken sleep. I feel like upping to 30mg Mirtz might crack it but it's only been 1 week on both. Anyone else augmenting these two with any advice? I'm struggling on at work through the day but it's killing me inside and exhausting.

Thanks all and good luck / best of health to all

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Jon, while I have not had mirtazapine/ sertraline combo I have been prescribed sertraline (Zoloft) in the past with lorazepam (Ativan) and stayed with that for a few years. When I could no longer get the lorazepam I was prescribed 15mg mirtazapine which helped greatly with sleep but did very little for anxiety. I am now at 30mg mirtazapine and 10mg escitalopram (Lexapro) and this combination has worked well for me.

• Posted

Thanks James. I was put on Lorazepam for 2 weeks prior to prescribing Mirtz. Lorazepam was brilliant for sleep and anxiety but they would only prescribe for 2 weeks as Dr said it is sticking plaster med to get you through a crisis but is addictive. Would have gladly stayed on that for ever......

• Posted

Absolutely!! Having to give up one drug that worked well and replace it with two drugs that are marginal sucks.

I had been able to get the Ativan for years no problem and I did not develop an addiction. Used it in an "as needed" basis.

Hopefully science will develop a drug that will provide the relief without the fear of dependence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.