Sertraline and Waking up every time with anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is the seventh week on sertraline for anxiety and depression and my mood has improved. Side effects such as stomach upset, diarrhea, headache, have improved or disappeared altogether. I still have flashes of panic, and occasional intrusive thoughts, but I am much better than eight weeks ago. Still, every night I wake up at the same time and the intrusive thoughts keep me awake 15-30 minutes. It's hard to slow down my breathing to fall back to sleep. Sometimes I take a nap during the day and wake up feeling anxious or depressed. Will these side effects diminish in time?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

they may diminish but everyone is different. when you wake up and have intrusive thoughts or rapid breathing , listen to a short effective meditation for panic on you tube called Stop panic attacks now. she guides u thru it and my breathing relaxes and i have more control.

another i really like is called ITS OK by Laura . she has a very soothing reassuring voice!

• Posted

Thank-you. The intrusive thoughts are all but gone during the day, but it's back to square one upon awakening. For me, the intrusive thoughts are so horrible. I will try your video suggestions.

• Posted

i have the same but cant get out of the bit. intrusive thoughts are so hard to get rid of. i thought it was only me getting them.

• Posted

Intrusive thoughts can start the spiral of panic. Often they feel like I'm being ambushed, and the results are completely draining. I am trying to find better ways to stop these altogether. I have windows where I feel normal, but they always bounce back.

• Posted

did your dr give you anything to help, mine gave me diazepam and now i cant get off it, need help

• Posted

hi, im dealing with anxiety and im on sertraline. i do get headaches and i have bad thoughts of thinking something bad is going to happen. my anxiety gets worse when i see things online or on tv of something happening to someone regarding their health. plus im stressed bc my husband is looking for a job, we might be moving. does anyone have any advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.