Sertraline.. can I just stop taking them ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm wondering if I can just stop taking my 50mg a day..are there any withdrawls from stopping.

Thing is I've come to the end of my last lot, & cant get to see my gp for another week.!

I've only been on them for 4weeks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't think your supposed to just stop I think you have to do it gradually maybe if you call go surgery and explain the May do you a scrip but I'm no expert Im to scared to even start mine have they helped ? 
  • Posted

Yes you will get a withdrawel, even after only 4 weeks and if you just stop now when you go back to the GP you'll be back at square one again.

Phone the GP surgery and explain that you have run out. They will give you a prescription for a weeks worth to get you by until you can see the GP. This is standard pratice as they know you cannot just stop these types of drugs. This must happen alot these days when you have to call in 100+ times a every morning to try ang get through to make an appointment. Failing this ask for an emergancy appointment or for the on call doctor to phone you. 

Additionally, after seeing the GP book the net appointment for 1 months time while you are there and tell the GP asked you to make it (it can save arguments about availability then). If you don't you'll again spend another week trying to get through to make another appoointment in a months time.

• Posted

No - don't just stop taking them as even after 4 weeks you will get withdrawal symptoms such as shakiness,  feeling spaced out and giddiness.   You need to withdraw slowly.   x
  • Posted

I've been on 100mg for 3 months, (12 months total use of sertraline). Has really 'saved' me. .

A while ago forgot 2 take them for 3 days

& had noticeable side effects; shaking, feeling like I was going to pass out & unsteady on my feet! . . Kinda freaked me out, but back to normal after commencing the dose! Wouldn't recommend this as a deliberate approach, I arrange to have mine ready at the local pharmacy at the end of every month. . If you need to see your Dr but can't get an appointment, you could try & get a phone consultation? I've found this works quite well. !!

Good luck Marty.

• Posted

I stopped taking Sertraline cold turkey and had no withdrawals at all.
  • Posted

You are not supposed to stop but I stopped mine in the past and I was fine, I didnt have withdrawls but everyone is different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.