Sertraline for depression and health anxiety experiences?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After last nights horrible events where I felt so depressed I actually contemplated suicide and resulted in self harm (which I have not done in years) i don't want to get into that horrible habit again so I have decided to take my medication, sertraline. I have been prescribed 50mg but have decided to split the pills in half for the first week and then go up to 50 mg.

It was a struggle to get myself to take it, I've had them for over a month. But I just shoved it in my mouth and swallowed it.

I know it won't make any difference straight away, but does anyone have any experience with sertraline for depression and HEALTH ANXIETY? I'm really hoping this will make me feel better xx

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I started sertraline 50mg nearly 2 weeks ago I still feel awful but I'm going to stick at it and hopefully they will help I suffer terribly with health anxiety not depressed just constantly worrying in dying of a heart attack or anything it's awful just try and take your meds everyday and hopefully u will start to feel better within a few weeks good luck x
    • Posted

Seeing as you're a few week in front of me at taking it maybe you could xomment back on here or message me of any improvements? smile I really hope it works for you

I feel exactly the same. I constantly think im having a heart attack or a stroke or something snd it wears me down every single day. x

• Posted

Yes I will let u know how I get on but I have not left my house for a whole week can face going out in case I have a panic attack I dread waking up everyday it's terrible anxiety is such a horrible thing try not to harm yourself though I used to do it when I was younger depression is a horrible thing too I'm glad that I'm not alone feeling this way I just hope one day my body fights all these horrible feelings off xx
    • Posted

I haven't left my house in weeks, I live 2 doors away from a shop and can't even manage to go there 😓

I just spend my life trying to sleep as much as possible and when im awake I'm anxious and dying of something. It's no life to live. But I refuse to get so low that I harm myself again

Hope we both feel better soon xxx

• Posted

I'm the same shop is only down the road it's awful isn't it I get a pain in my arm or shoulder and I think I'm dying I jusst want to be happy again xx
  • Posted

Hi hun I haven't had any experience with sertraline but I just want u to know that u should never feel like u want to harm your self I know how u feel but please please message me if u feel like that again and we can have a chat, hope ur feeling ok now hun you and I will get better one day just got to stay positive xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply smile I don't know how to message people on here I'm still pretty new to this site but thank you so much, it's nice knowing that I will have someone to talk to, I feel so alone in all of this it's horrible xxx
    • Posted

Hey justice, I really feel for u as I was suffering just like only a few weeks ago, I didn't go out of my house for 3 months and just literally sat on my sofa tense and panicking all day everyday for 3 months. I was prescribed propranolol for the heart palpatations and shaking and hot and cold flushes which helped but I still had the thoughts and anxious feeling so doc prescribed me 50mg of sertraline which I have now been on for 5 weeks, but it took me 3 weeks to actually start taking it as was so scared of side effects but then I thought I can't get any worse than what I was as I was in a really bad way. Anyway I had some side effects which lasted about 7-10 days, I feel a lot better than I was but still feel anxious now and again, but it's still early days and going to wait til week 8 then I might up the dose if anxiety is still there. With sertraline it gets worse before it gets better but hang in there and stay positive as the side effects will go within 2 weeks, just keep busy and distract yourself, u will get there Hun, the only way is up x
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply smile I thought similar, I decided just to take them because I'm terrified of the side effects but I've had so many physical symptoms due to anxiety that I think I can handle a few more if it means feeling better in the long run smile

I only took 25mg but after a week I will up my dose to 50mg Xx

• Posted

That's exactly the attitude u need Hun. U have been at rock bottom so what's another couple of weeks?? The only way is up. Keep a positive attitude and think positive as much as u can and take everyday as it comes. U will feel worse before it gets better, but maybe it might work in a few days. I took mine just before bed so I slept through most of the harsh side effects and it wasn't to bad. My side effects were anxiety ( which I had severe anyway), loss of appetite (which I was over weight anyway) tight jaw, bit of tummy ache (but I wasn't eating) dry mouth, but I could live with all that as I felt like crap before the sert. If u do get side effects then doc can give u something to ease the symptoms, like I said I am on propranolol for the heart palpatations and I have rescue remedy to help with the anxiety. Try to distrct yourself, I learnt how to knit and that seriously helps with my racing thoughts, I'm 34 and knit every night lol, also word searches and puzzles and crafts, anything to take my mind off the anxiety and thoughts. 
  • Posted

Yep it works for me I'd resisted as Prozac etc hadn't but got to the point when I was like a rabbit in headlights and that was stopping me logically thinking through

I felt different in 3 days I stopped running fast but staying still syndrome

I had to cope with fatigue yawning I got but I accepted that

• Posted

Yep it works for me I'd resisted as Prozac etc hadn't but got to the point when I was like a rabbit in headlights and that was stopping me logically thinking through

I felt different in 3 days I stopped running fast but staying still syndrome

I had to cope with fatigue yawning I got but I accepted that

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.