Sertraline help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was hoping for some experiences from mummies who have been prescriped Sertraline for anxiety/agrophobia. I have been suffering for about 8 years but only badly in the past 5 or so. I now have a one year old little boy who is my world. I just dont want to miss out on doing things with him while he's growing up. I get so bad that I can't even take him out a walk or to the park/shops/anywhere by myself. I am ok (sometimes) if I have someone with me, but not if i feel I am somewhere I can't get out of if that makes sense. I want to be able to do all the things with my little boy that i am supposed to do and take him on family holidays etc. But at the moment the thought of being in the confinement of a plane or in a foreign place terrifies me. I am however going through an ok patch at the moment, I still get anxiety daily but haven't had a full blown panic attack in over a month. What are people's experiences with sertraline/cbt and should i start getting the help while i feel im in an ok place (i know it will come back at some point as its never fully gone) Sorry for the long post, I hope someone can help x 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You sound exactly like me. Mine started 13 years a go after I had my first son. I got postnatal depression and along with that anxiety. My mum made me go to the doctors and I got put on fluoxetine which worked until 2 and a half years later when I had my second little boy. During this time i got so bad I couldn't take my oldest to school which was only down the road. I felt awful because they were missing out on so much, I couldn't take them to the park, for a walk, to the shop, simple things I really should have been. I finally got put back onto fluoxetine but it didn't help, so I got put on something else. As soon as I stopped taking them tho it just started up again. Eventually I got put on sertraline 50mg the side effects were so bad to start with but I persavierd and felt so much better 😊 I could use buses again, go on holiday and even got a part time job. I have 3 boys now and I'm still on sertraline, I've recently been put up to 100mg as 50mg wasn't working anymore. I still have bad days but not half as bad as they was, and he most important thing is my kids have a better quality of life because I can do so much more with them. My anxiety acts up when I'm put in a situation that I can't get away from quickly, so if I'm on a train for example, I know I can't just make that train turn around and take me straight home. For my things like that are triggers so I know exactly what you mean with that. It does get better tho and sertraline in my opinion is the best medication for it I've been on xx

• Posted

I feel exactly the same on trains/planes etc! Thank you for your reply, it's what I really wanted to hear. I had sertraline prescribed before but it just sat in my bag I never ever took one. I'm just so scared of the side effects, but hearing that you can take your kids out and on holiday etc really spurrs me on! I don't want my son to miss out on anything, it's so unfair you look at people who can just go about and do normal things and not think twice about it and just want to be one of those people!! Xx

• Posted

Take them, I'm not going to lie the side effects were horrific for me (not everyone is the same) but they wear off after a week or two and I felt so much better. I had increased anxiety, loss of appetite and I was being sick every morning but the benefits in the end by far out weigh those bad couple of weeks. I never thought I'd be able to take my boys out on my own let alone have a job and hold it down. You will get there It just takes time xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I have been on 300 mgs of sertraline for the past 20 years with no side effects whatsoever.....and they helped ,very

greatly...in fact it saved my life.....give it a go Lisa, you have nothing to lose, and so much to gain....you can get your life back, and peace of mind, anxiety can be ....and for me it was ..CRIPPLING...

warm, sincere hugs lovely lady....In my heart and mind Lisa....

Take care of yourself .and your family, always hugs ...dee xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.