Sertraline mistake?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.

I've been taking 50g sertraline for 3 months but because over the past few weeks I've been feeling a lot better Ive been forgetting to take the pill. In the last 18 days I only took 11 of them. I didn't think this was a problem until today when all the anxiety that debilitated me at the end of last year came back with a vengeance.

Any comments would be a real help as today has been very hard.

Do people think that not being strict with the intake is the sole reason for today's tears?

Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sbassman, ru u a bass player by any chance? Anyhow not taking your meds as prescribed can have a bit of a detrimental effect but not really enough to relapse, you may find (like me) you get the occasional bout but if the trend is good then it's a blip.

ive been on an upwards trend and Tuesday had a downward bout which is slowly going now, my psychiatrist assured me that the road to recovery is rocky and you get tough times, the thing to do is keep telling yourself it's just temporary and you will feel improvement soon, maybe even better than before.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It sounds like maybe just a slight bump in the road to recovery . Sometimes those medications level out in the body and you may need to talk to your doctor to see if your not better in a few days maybe an increase might be in order . Concentrate on how many good days you've had and try to get back there . And remember the medications help us but the recovery is really all you . You can do this . Keep telling yourself you got this and keep pushing through it .
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi bassman

This is a catch 22 situation type of question

its difficult to predict , did you miss them for like a week solid or forget to take them one day but not the next ,

If I missed a dose longer than a day albeit

Paroxetine I started getting brain zaps

So I kinda knew that I missed a dose

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You already know the answer to this one Sbassman. It is never a good thing to take ourselves off or forget to take a dedicated medication, and this is especially true of sertraline.

The general rule is if we forget to take it on a particular day, then we should take it at the soonest available time closest to the time of day when we normally take it.

In your case, I suspect that as the beneficial effects of this drug started to work on you giving you much relief and allowing you to feel much better, possibly a feeling of over-confidence took over and you thought that you might have been completely cured.

This often happens to people and then they pay the price by hitting rock bottom again with intense anxiety.

What has happened to you is to be expected, so I would suggest that you try to rectify the situation by putting yourself back on your medication as soon as possible.

A visit to your doctor would not be out of place just to make him/her aware of the circumstances as to why your health might have taken a downward turn.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Archimedes. I hope you're right. (I think you're right!) I've started the daily dose again and although still panicky, anxious and over-thinking everything, I am starting to slowly get less nervy/Teary. Fingers crossed after a week or so I'll be feeling ok again. Don't plan on missing another pill EVER!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had a relapse in Agust. I was taking celexa, and stopped it cold turkey, but a month after stopping taking it my panick attacks and anxiety came with a vegeance too. After that Celxa, didn't work for me anymore, so now I was put on prozac 30MG daily and 1mg of ativan. From now on I am very strict on taking my medication. I was one of those people that didn't like taking medication but why suffer when we don't have to? I imagine people in third world countries that that don't have medical assistant they suffer because they can find the help, but us? why suffer? I don't care what I will take because I will do anything to feel better.

So don't forget to take your medication, if you want to feel better.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up