Sertraline side effects - Reality VS Medication - Help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer from depression and anxiety and have been taking Sertraline 50mg for a just over a week. The tablets have given me lots of the usual side effects, feeling a bit spaced out and sick, mood up and down etc but I am having strong feelings of uneasiness of people close to me and my mind won't allow me to decide if this is because of the medication or my worries are true feelings...

My partner has many female friends, lots of them being ex girlfriends who he he keeps in touch with. I have never been a jealous person in my life, and small 'signs' are making me worry like crazy.

He keeps female friendships a secret from me which makes me very very uneasy and makes me worry even more. I think he keeps it secret as he knows it makes me feel uneasy (we have discussed it in the past but he said they are just friends).

Anytime I am at home when I am meant to be at work - holidays or ill (daytime) certain female 'friends' seem to be in contact but never in the evening or weekends. If he does answer the phone the first thing he says is 'I'm just with Jess.....'

I can't help but feel a gut reaching pain that I am being used just because other people either aren't around/available. Other situations replay in my head over and over again which I won't go into, my gut tells me it is strange and I can't shift the feeling.

He is the most loving boyfriend and I know he loves me very very much so why can't I just relax and get rid of this horrible feeling!

I can't tell if I am really feeling like this or is it my medication making me think these things?

I would really appreciate someone else's opinion, has Sertraline made anyone else feel distrusting/suspicious?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jess 

I wouldn't like to say it isn't the medication as it can cause more anxiety and unsettle you for a while..But its only been just over a week..So are you saying that all this doubt towards your partner and the secretiveness has only started the last week?

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Thank you for your reply.

I have had feelings like this for a while but feelings that I could deal with a rationalise. Certain situations have happened and I don't know if the medication is high tensing my insecurities.

It's making me so sad, I don't want to bring it up as I have done in the past and it's caused arguments and all has been fine until recently. I now overthink every detail and the uneasiness is taking over me, I really don't want it too ??

• Posted

Jess 

Private message me if you want to go inot a bit more detail.. If your gut instinct is telling something is wrong then something is wrong..

Yes setraline will give you isde effects like anxiety but it won't make you paranoid or give you uneasy feelings about your relationship..

• Posted

If your mood is low, your self confidence is bound to be low too
    • Posted

I have zero self confidence at the moment so yes you are right sad

• Posted

Hi Jess

I Jess I cannot comment on your boyfriend. But I can comment on the drug your are taking, I took one of these tablets one morning they made me space out all day could not go out the house. They made me out of control. I felt dreadfull I never took them again. I would suggest you go back to your GP and try somthing different.I could not walk down the road. I even phoned out of hours N H S

I felt dreadfull.

• Posted

That's awful Lynne, luckily I have felt OK in myself, apart from spaced out and a bit sick but I seem to have an overwhelming fear/anxiety about my relationship and friendships, it's so bizarre.

I think I need to go back to the GP.

• Posted

OOh you didn't mention friendships being effected as well.. It is probably your anxiety and low confidence due to your depression,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.