sertraline to mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I've been on sertraline 50 mg for 4 weeks and 100 mg for about 9 weeks. I suffered with really bad side effects some of them passed and they did eventually help with my anxiety and panic attacks a bit but left me very depressed.

However one of the worse side effect has been night terrors dreams so vivid that when I wake up I have difficulty in telling them apart from reality. Last night being the worse. I tried telling my self this morning it's just a dream and after a cold shower and 10 mg diazepam I was still shaking like a leaf and in a right state. I got an emergency doctors appointment. He has taking me of sertraline and prescribed me 30mg mirtazapine which I'm due to take tonight. I also had to go and have a blood test done wich I should find out the results tonight (I nearly passed out last week for no reason ended up laying on the floor with a cold towel over me for 20 mins sweating and turning very white) so I think this may be the reason for a blood test. After nearly 3 months of hell with a few good days in between I'm just a bit worried I'm going to go through it all again 😭 any one else been swapped to mirtazapine?

Thanks Rich

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

I know everyone is different but I was on mirtazapine and I felt dreadful. I was put on sertraline and don't feel great but waiting for another med review. Gps too often put people on these other tabs and mirtazapine Was difficult to come off. You may be ok on it
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Many thanks for your comments . The sertraline side effects were the worse for me I've been on prozac 20 and 40 mg before about 10 yrs ago. I took my first 30mg of mirtazapine last night. Still had nightmares but didn't get up until 10 am .

It did knock me out and my head does feel strange today. As you say everybody is different. Couple of my friends are on sertraline and they have had no side effects and feel fine on it. I have been referred to see a psychiatrist 7 weeks ago but still no sign of an appointment. So just a waiting game I suppose.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Rich,

You may find Mirtazapine a little robust. I started on 15mg's and as soon as I was able to tolerate that I moved to 30mg and then to 45mg's.

I take Mirtazapine purely for its sedative effect. I have a sleep disorder.

You may find the first two or three weeks on Mirtazapine quite difficult. I did. But I persisted and I'm pleased I did. Its been a great help. I do have to take my Mirtazapine quite early to avoid any hangover from it in the morning. This is still a work in progress.

Good luck

Nuttymut

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your post. The side effects from sertraline were hell for me. I Had to take sleeping tablets as I didn't sleep for more than 2 - 3 hrs on them. Even then would wake up sweating and shaking. Have just taken my first one. So only time will tell. Although if I get any side effects I won't know if it's suddenly stopping the sertraline or the starting of mirtazapine. Looks like I could be in for a bumpy ride one way or another 😢😢
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Started on Mitrazapine 15mg the GP said it was to help me sleep. I thought I was depressed. I have had a wakeful time around 2am for decades.

first pill was much to strong. Bit it into four. That was helpful. My mood was back to normal in four days. Now taking about 1/3. Still biting the pill as 15mg is the smallest dose made. GP agrees that I stick with this 5mg dose.

someone said Mitrazapine is difficult to get off. What happens?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up