Serum Estradiol levels with estrogen implants/injections

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've been postmenopausal due to premature ovarian failure related to having a partial hysterectomy for nearly 20 years. My symptoms were managed for 7 years using estradiol pills. I was then switched to a patch which worked well for me for nearly 12 years...although I had to use a patch and a half of the highest dose patch. I'm from the US, but my patch was the Vivelle Dot  which is the same are the Estradot 100 in the UK. I can't say that I have ever felt completely normal after having my surgery and immediately experiencing ovarian failure when I was 35. I am now 54 and have been trying to find the right implant dose that works best for me. Here in the states, most implant/pellet docs insert very low estrogen doses and huge testosterone doses. That regiman really messed me up and it has taken my testosterone a year to decrease to a level where I feel well. I had to change doctors in order for that to happen. My new provider started me off by giving me 100 mg. E implant and 100 mg. T implant. I don't think he clearly understood that my testosterone was over the top. He lowered my testosterone implant to 50 mg. and left me estrogen implaint dose at 100 mg. during my last visit, gave me a 5 mg. depo estrogen shot to boost my level and keep me comfortable until the estrogen implant kicked in. As soon as the injection wore off, all of my symptoms returned. I have always had severely debilitating symptoms from low estrogen. My implant doctor does not dose based on lab work but by symptoms only. I recently visited my GP for my annual exam and he ran some routine blood work as well as a hormone level check. My estradiol level was 985.3 and my testosterone was 122 which is great. However, he flipped out over my high estradiol level. I had given myself and injection a couplf o days before and wonder how much it affected my estradiol reading. Now, my implant doctor who originally said that labs were "only numbers" wants to lower my estrogen implant dose and take the estradiol shots away. I feel the best I have felt in 20 years and am not having any side effects at all. Have any of you ever needed your estradiol/estrogen/oestrogen (all the same) levels as high as I seem to need mine in order to feel well?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just read your post, and we have so many similarities. I am 52 and had a full hysterctomy when I was 30. Different hormones on and off through the years. I am now on Estradiol pill form (which I have been on for some time). I tried to take myself off a couple of months back. Thought I was doing ok, and then I started to suffer from several different symptoms. I really wasn't sure if it was due to coming off the HRT. I have never felt totally "normal" since my hysterctomy. Would you mind sharing some of your symptoms. At times I feel so bad it worries me as to what is really going on inside my body. A brief list of what bothers me the most:

Headaches, dizziness, brain fogginess, feeling out of sorts, body aches (really bad at times), joint pain, feeling very sad, and tearful, angry, etc. 

Thank you for sharing!

• Posted

Kim, I had all of the symptoms you described. I developed problems with anxiety shortly after my surgery when the doc discovered that the removal of my uterus had caused my ovaries to start failing and placed me on 1 mg. oral estradiol. I knew nothing about menopause or hormones then...thought the only symptom involved was a hot flash from time to time. Two months after beginning the oral estradiol, I was incorrectly diagnosed with PTSD and GAD, and given xanax and an antidepressant which I could not take. The xanax helped with the anxiety but I couldn't tolerate the side effects of any AD I was prescribed. 7 years later I, too, decided to stop my estradiol pills. I was okay for a little while but then started to have panic attacks, acid reflux, horrible bloating from gas, fluid retention most noticably in my hips, thighs, and calves, muscle tightness and joint pain, tmj, carpal tunnel, shortness of breath, heart palps, a constant choking/lump in throat sensation, self-loathing depression, gained 20 lbs. in less than two months, watched my muscle turn to flab, my skin was horribly dry and I was aging at a rapid rate. My hair also lost its sheen, and even my the soles of my feet developed thicker skin and cracked heels. I didn't get slammed with these symptoms all at once. They developed one by one over a 2 and 1/2 year period. My doctor sent me to a different doctor for EACH symptom. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, acid reflux, had to wear a splint in my  mouth, and braces on my wrists. I was also prescribed a ton of meds for EACH problem! I honestly thought I had been stricken with a horrible disease and the docs just weren't connecting the dots. Then, after 2.5 years I started having horrible night sweats! I actually delayed seeing my doc about yet another symptom until I was so sleep deprived that I was falling asleep at my desk at work and feared that I might dose off while driving. It was then and only then, that my GP ran a hormone panel. I had NO E in my system at all. He tried to restart me on the same estradiol pill I had taken before and it caused a massive panic attack. He then switched me to the Vivelle Dot patch and after several tweaks, I finally found a dose where I felt the most comfortable but it was not perfect. In the early spring of 2013, the patches just stopped working. I kept adding more, less, changing them more often, etc. and NOTHING worked. I decided to try the pellet implants in August of last year. The first doctor overdosed me horribly with testosterone and gave me ver little estrogen. I FINALLY found another doc who believes that a woman needs more estrogen than testosterone. I feel much better than I did being dosed in the opposite manner but I still have low estrogen symptoms. My doc prescribed estrogen shots for me to give myself when I started experiencing low estrogen symptoms between pellet insertions (get them every 12 weeks). I feel wonderful using the shots but then my GP found that my estrogen level was 985.3 and freaked. I think it was because I had just given myself a shot a couple of days before the labs were drawn but my pellet docs says it wasn't. So, now that I've finally found something that makes me feel well, he is planning to cut my estrogen dose. My pellet doctor does not do blood work. He bases a woman's doses strictly on her symptoms. I posted here hoping that maybe another woman who seems to need very high estrogen levels to feel well or who is using estrogen implants or injections might be able to help me. I feel for you, Kim. Nobody prepared us for this and we are certainly not alone. A lot of women have every symptom I've had and even additional ones; however, the doctors refuse to recognize anything other than hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness as being a hormone related symptom. Oh, and I nearly forgot the most important thing! After I started using the patch, all of my symptoms and the other illnesses I was diagnosed went completely away. I didn't have ANY of the illnesses that I was diagnosed with!
    • Posted

Kim,

I just replied to barter and I had the same issues you had( I am 58) went on estrogen at 51 for debilitating migraines (only sympton)which was like a wonder drug.  I took topical Divigel 1 mg and then switched to bi est when I was 55. Tapered off 6 months ago, since I thought my the estrogen was  affecting my gallbladder and had pain on my  RUQ bac and stomach. I was fine for two months after 

going off and then all these symptons you name,  plus more started happening.  The hot flashes, night sweats, joint pain, vaginal dryness (horrible, which I still have) burning tongue and a metallic taste in my mouth. Ringing in my ears and the best one was c onstipation!!  I said, I do not care if my gallbladder is sluggish, I am going back on estrogen for my quality of life.  I need to get all my levels checked out in the next month and I am still having issues by a Dx who is knowledagle about the whole emdrocone system.  What a journey we have all had and hopefully we can get balanced.

• Posted

Hi Retired,

I too, am from the US. I also suffer with the hot flashes, anxiety, depression, ringing in my ears, etc. It is so consuming! I have always been a very independent strong person, and now I feel incapable of making the smallest decisions. On the rare day that I actually feel good. I find myself spoiling it by the thoughts of the antcipated bad feelings to come. At times I feel like my anxiety is totally out of control. I really do not talk about it much to anyone in my family. I have always been the "go to" person in our family.

This forum has been so wonderful in helping me to understand what is going on with me. Just knowing I am not alone in this helps so much. I refuse to take any AD. I want to try and work through this. I have realized, however, I cannot come off the HRT. Not yet, anyways. Symptoms are bad on it, but horrible without it. Especially the body aches, and hot flashes!!!

• Posted

Hi ladies..

i have just been reading your posts and soooo sorry your suffering..

the symptoms you explain are like mine .. peri meno but No HRT taken..

but I calm and control mine with naturals and have done for 10 years..

but I am near the end of peri now.. ( 11 and a half months no period) and aged  50.. 

HRT has it uses and helps many, but its the coming off that makes all the peri symptoms come back.. peri your body wants to reduce all these hormones and HRT puts them all back in again, and then the day you have to finish taking it or reducing it.. your peri will begin again..

and when you have to have HRT when your younger and had a hysterectomy oh I just feel for you ...

its a vicious circle and I feel for you all, and hope you can all feel better very soon and get the HRT levels that make you all feel better Jay xx

• Posted

Kim,

I am so sorry you are suffering, even with HRT!  How about a second opinion, since your symptons seem like low estrogen.  You did not state if your Hysto was total or partial.  I had a partial (ovaries intact) at 49 and was Ok until 51 when I started getting migraines everyday.  I find at 58 and not being on estrogen for six months has really messed me up.  I do not think I will ever come off once hopefully I can feel good.  I know you said you tried many types of ERT.  Have you ever tried compounded where they can make up any dose and delivery system---gels, sprays, torches, etc. I know for me I have to take mone 2x a day and sometimes more in very small amounts since I metabolize it faster, especially if i exercise or sweat. If you had a total Hysto, you may need more help. The women's international compounding has pharmiscits whow ill ill answer any questions and people around the world use them. They know ten times more than the Dx and have Dx referrals.   Have you tried the hyster sister site?.  They have great info and very knowledagle woman who are going through the same thing. I do not blame you for not wanting to go on an AD.  I found when I was off estrogen for 6 months I had terrible anxiety, mood swings and depression. I tried Xanax .25 and that helped and I dound it a better alternative than AD's.

cry!  I am better mow with estrogen, but I still need to be tweaked as I am still not feeling 100%.  I think I am on the back end of menopause at 58  and my estrogen is in the toilet.   Luckily, I am retired at this point or I do not know how I would do it.  I know you said you are the "go to" personin your family, but you need to take time for yourself and they will manage.  You need to think about yourself, which we women are very bad at doing

• Posted

Hi Jay,

thanks for your support!  It was funny, when I had my Hysto I was fine at 49, when I was in peri in my 40's.  Than at 51 wham, the migraines, which I never had in my life started and was debilitating----- migraines every single day.  I wanted to blow my brains out and had a hard time working.

Nothing worked, diet, supplementsm acupuncture, etc. Luckily, a smart neurologist in NYC suggested estrogen and I thought it was a miracle.  I do not think I really entered full menopause until about 55 (do not know since with the hysterectomy I did not have a period).  I tried to come off several times around 56  and you are right when your body is used to estrogen it is not easy to taper off.  However, I have friends who just went off like it was nothing and were fine--not many, but a few did.  I am so glad that you are able to manage your symptons using natural means.  I tried in December for six months by using natural  phytoestrogens (black cohosh, soy), supplements, acupuncture and I am also on a plant based diet, but nothing worked.  Getting older is not for sissies!

• Posted

Hi retired..

ref.. migraines.. i have never had them ever, until last year..

this was when I had my last two periods... just before ( i only had two periods last year) blimey the migraines, banging

for four days and nights, solid, nothing helped.. but ... havent had a period since and no migraines..

had no periods since and in a couple of weeks will be a year..

its been a long journey, but I have experienced it all along the way.. and glad its almost over, feel i have my life back again, yippeeee. 

the B6 helped me so so much, and weird as 10 years ago when doc first said i was in early peri, he gave me a prescription for B6 but forgot to tell me how much they would help, so i never bothered with them then... we live and learn ... the hard way...  blimey its changed my life.. something so simple ..

i will still have to take all the Vits ans naturals even when i reach the full meno, but I can do that no problems... 

breaks my heart when i read some of these posts as I know how hard it is and how it effects everything ...... just want you to all feel good and enjoy life.. going back to B6.. its also good for HRT absortion too... Jay xx

• Posted

Yes, the migraines are a real attention getter!!  I am so happy you are finding luck with B6 as it helps a lot of women. I tried it but it did not work.  We are all so individual.  I live in a 55+ community and  speak to   who brezzed through menopause and do not know what all the fuss is all about--LOL!

I am sure you will be fine since you made it this far and B6 is a great help for symptons I agree, enjoying life is so important, so hopefully all of us gals will find balance.

sandy

• Posted

Hi Barter, so sorry to hear about everything you've been through. It all sounds a complete nightmare. I hope you find some relief soon.xx

i was interested to hear about your symptoms. I have been suffering with a TMJ issue which causes me dizziness, headaches, neck problems, facial pain etc.I a m currently waiting yo see a maxillofascial facial consultant. However, the more I read, the more I am convinced that this is linked to fluctuating hormones. Please could I ask you a bit more about the nature of you TMJ issue and if it resolved with the Hormone therapy. It would really help me to have some more info before I go for my appt. this TMJ us driving me crazy and I can't seem to do anything about it, it seems totally out of my control. Thanks. Xxxxx

• Posted

Well, I can't really say that you do not have the condition you have been dianosed with but you described exactly how mine bothered me. At one time, I was diagnosed with something called trigeminal neuralgyia(sp?) that involved the neck and nerves in the face. Then, I was diagnosed with the TMJ and wore a splint all the time which didn't help a thing. When my estrogen gets really low, I clench my teeth/jaws. It's not something I do intentionally but seriously feels like my mouth is nearly clamped shut and hard to open. Weird. But, yes, estrogen replacement resolved all of those issues for ME. I might also add that years before, my mother had to wear both an upper and lower splint for TMJ. She was also diagnosed with lupus and a few other things during that time. After nearly having a total nervous breakdown and my stepfather rushing her to the ER, a nurse in the ER asked if her hormone levels had been checked. The ER doctor was about to send her to a psych ward. Same scenario...her hormones had crashed. Once she got some estrogen back into her body, the TMJ stopped and she learned that she did NOT have lupus. My mother also had a partial when she was 36 and her ovaries kept working until she was 40. It was strange because she was doing well and it seemed that they failed all at once. She certainly didn't go through a natural menopause in which her hormones slowly dropped over a period of a few years. Her's starting dropping and she was depleted of estrogen in less than 6 months. She's 74 and still has to take estrogen. You might want to try to get your hormones balanced before you have the surgery if you only developed the TMJ when your hormones started going crazy.
    • Posted

Thanks for this. Havnt got a diagnosis yet - still ongoing after 3 yrs. I have however had loads of other menopausal symptoms , night sweats, crazy emotions, extreme tiredness, headaches, brain fog, aches and pains in various places..... The list goes on. All these things crept up over period of about 8 yrs gradually increasing in intensity. The jaw is the latest thing and so debilitating. I've had physio, muscle relaxing meds and nothing solves the issue. I've tried acupuncture, massage and various natural options but getting nowhere at the moment. I gad read about TMJ and menopause so was really interested to hear your comments. Thank you. Obviously I have to rule out any jaw imbalances or misalignments but I think it's worth mentioning the hormonal thing when I go to see him. Lots of luck. I'll let you know what he says. Xx
    • Posted

It sounds like you are trying to hold it all together by trying to keep a stiff upper lip, so to speak, resulting in TMJ.  I must say though, that all those symptoms and Kim's above as well are also symptoms of iron overload.  Please get that checked out - you need to ask for Iron Studies.  Iron overload and menopause often happen concurrently because you start loading iron when you stop or reduce menstruation.  It won't hurt to get it checked.  I suffered the same problems.
    • Posted

Thanks Sheryl, I did have iron checked which is fine. Periods are hit and miss but very heavy when they arrive. Xx
    • Posted

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you. May I ask if there's some reason you haven't addressed your menopause symptoms first? I interact with women in various stages of menopause from mostly all over the U.S. They and I have experienced some wild symptoms that we might not have ever realized were connected to menopause if it weren't for various support groups who have conducted polls and surveys with thousands of women participating in order to identify common symptoms that were relieved once they either struggled through menopause or used various remedies (mostly HRT) to relieved their symptoms. The chief complaint is ALWAYS that our doctors do not and are not willing to recognize most of our symptoms.I'm almost glad that I received all of the incorrect diagnoses for my symptoms prior to learning that they were all related to my hormones. I was taken by quite a nice surprise when after restarting estrogen, I realized that all of my diagnoses had been incorrect. It taught me a LOT about what the havoc that menopause and our hormones can create. I still find it odd that I have NEVER had a day time hot flash and that night sweats were the last symptom to appear for me. I just thought I was either old and falling apart all at once (at 42? I'd LOVE to be 42 again w/o those symptoms), or that I had a horrible disease and was going to die soon.
    • Posted

Hi Mooma,

when I went off estrogen, I started clenching my right jaw which was sore along wit my ear on that side.  Never happenned to me before.  When I went back on estrogen the symptons went away, along with a host of others.  I also have a friend who is in peri and right before her period she has TMJ.  No one could figure it out and she wore a night guard and did not help.  She just recently went on HRT and also Throyid meds and the symptons went away.  I think fluctating hormones or lack thereof can wreak havoc with the female body.  It is all one big endocrine system.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Barter, I have approached menopause symptoms with doctors but they have been pretty dismissive of it to be honest. My TMJ problems began following a bout of vertigo 3 yrs ago. I have gone from labyrinthitis to neuralgia to virus and back again. It was me who made the connection with hormones but feel like I'm hitting my head against the wall with the doctors. I've apparently had BPPV and migraine and now anxiety. Hardly surprising considering the roller coaster of unresolved symptoms! Had loads of tests to rule out life threatening stuff but still have this debilitating facial pain. I see my GP in 2 wks and the consultant in 3 wks so will definitely be raising all this again. Regrettably I don't hold out much hope for a positive response but I would love to be proved wrong. I gave made changes to my diet and rake various supplements to try and balance my hormones. I have physio from time to time so am trying to do all I can, but it all feels out of my control. So frustrating!. Thanks for the support. Xx
    • Posted

Thanks retired, this is all very interesting and kind of confirms some of my suspicions. I am 49 and have irregular heavy periods. My headaches have become gradually worse over last 10 yrs together with bouts of dizziness and fatigue, generally feeling unwell. I've had feelings of not being able to cope etc and lots of other peri symptoms so hormonal changes had always been in my mind but not really connected it to TMJ until recently. I have had my thyroid checked and that's ok but the Dr seems reluctant to test hormone levels. I've had a night guard but it didn't seem to work for me, in fact I feel it may have made my jaw feel stiffer! What a nightmare - just want to know what's causing it. The Dr has told me not to think about what it is but concentrate on what I can do about it so I expect he thinks it is stress related! The only stress I have is not knowing why I have the pain and what to do to make it feel better. So frustrating. Sorry to go on. Thank you for taking an interest, it really helps. Xx
    • Posted

I saw that you wrote to Barter that it started with vertigo and I said OMG!  It is definitely your hormones fluctuating.  I had the same freaking thing at 49 along with migraines---that was my first sympton of late peri menopause. I never had a migraine, nor vertigo in my life and My Dx thought it was stress and I should start meditation.  After I got done going off the deep end with him, he was the one who needed mediation--LOL!(oh, please!!) and I had the vertigo so bad it lead me to the neurologist along with the migraines and he then decided to give me estrogen to try and level things out.   My estradiol level was perfectly normal at the time between 150-300 but I am really sensitive to hormone fluctuations, even in menopause currently, so I am really empathetic with what you are going through!  I wish I had the blogs, boards and dr. Google info that I have now.  While I did not go the birth control route, something's it can balance your hormones by calming down the fluctating of the estrogen.  If this was a man, feeling tired, grumpy, low sex drive, sweating, etc. the doctors would test testosterone levels and give him T.  I know it happenned to my husband and they never told him it was stress!!  It sounds like you are in the UK and  I amnot familiar wit the health care scene with changing doctors of  someone who can evaluate you, but I would dump this guy.  It is hard enough from all our posts to find someone who can work as a partner in treating you, but to be talked to like that is unacceptable.  If you do decid on ERT/HRT you will still need to tweak since you hormones are in free flux now, but it is better than having all these problems and never knowing when the next shoe was going to drop. Your hormones need to be checked to at least get a baseline and track over the years, so you can see how you are absorbing if you decide to go the hormone route.  If you have a chance please read screaming to be hear by elizabeth vilest and hormone balance by Uzzi Reiss.  Both are uber hormone specialist in the US.  You can find on Anazon.  I found going in with information, back by scientific data really helped.

As a n FYI, Xanax or antivert helped with vertigo until I got things under control.  It is also a journey as you can see from some of the posts, so do not give up!!

sandy

• Posted

Haha. I had to have a laugh reading this. I have changed to a different GP 4 times now! Yes I am in UK. This is the best of the bunch as they say. I've seen 2 ENT specialists, 2 neurologists, 2 physios, an acupuncturist, a massage therapist, had an MRI and various blood tests but only hormone test I had came back as 'normal' although I only had one test and now know that you need more than one. I am reading lots and taking control of my symtoms as best I can through lifestyle changes but would really like some acknowledgement of a hormone link. The vertigo is much better now although I often feel 'off balance'. The neurologist has never suggested anything for hormones for my migraines, only prescription meds which make you feel like a zombie. It's frustrating that no one gets to the root of the issue but just covers up the symptoms. I never give up, and talking to people such as yourself helps me so much as it gives me more knowledge to try and find the answer. Thank you. X I will check out those books. 
    • Posted

Have you seen a good chiropractor? When I stupidly stopped taking the estradiol pills and was getting slammed with one symptom (and diagnosis) after another, my muscles were SO tense and spasmed that they were causing nerve compression. Yes, mam, THAT'S how tense my muscles were! I feard I had MS or something similar that affected my muscles. I also had pressurized headaches and blurred vision because the of the tense muscles in my upper back and neck. The tension was actually restricting the blood flow to my brain. It was a total coincidence that I started seeing my chiropractor/kinesiologist the same week that I started using the Vivelle Dot patch. However, he told me that he'd never seen anyone in all his years of practice with so MANY spasmed muslces that covered such a broad range of their body. I think I mentioned that I felt as though I was choking all the time earlier. I had been feeling a large lump on the right side of my neck for months that was sore all the time. It wasn't visible but I could certainly feel it. Of course, since I was convinced I was dying, I assumed it was a swollen lymph node or a cancerous tumor. Seems a bit funny now but it certainly wasn't when I was experiencing these things. At any rate, the chiropractor felt it when he was adjusting my neck. He let out a gasp, I acknowledged that I knew the lump was there and asked him what it was. He said it was a muscle spasm and asked if I'd been having problems swallowing. And, of course, I had for MONTHS! He adjusted my neck, the lump was gone the next day and I haven't choked since. I'm not sure if it was he who cured the problem or a combo of the estradiol and his adjustments. He also worked on my TMJ and carpal tunnel by using a tool he has that seems to be spring loaded and also shoots an electrical pulse. I never felt the electrical pulse but it resembles a big syringe with a trigger on each side and a rubber tip. It feels like it punches the area. I suppose it helps release muscles that can't be adjusted by hand...like in my wrists and the side of my jaws. I saw him every week for about a month but my muscles relaxed afer a week or so of using the patch. I'm not sure they would have relaxed as quickly without his help, though. The work he did on my neck resolved the constant headache I had at the base of my skull, the choking, burning mouth, cleared my vision up since I was getting better blood flow and I stopped clenching my teeth. Oh, another annoying symptom I had that I'm not sure if it was caused by extreme bloating or tense muscles but I could NOT stand to wear a bra! It felt like even a sports bra was 3 sizes too small and wouldn't allow my diaphragm to expland when I breathed. He punched me a few times with whatever the tool he has is in the center of my upper abdomen and adjusted my mid back. Yay! I no longer had to wear thick bulky sweatshirts to hide that I was not wearing a bra. I don't dare tell a doc that I had these symptoms and they were all due to muscle tension caused by no estrogen. They would send me to the loony bin! However, I've talked with many ladies who had the same exact symptoms due to menopause. And, they were SO happy to learn that they weren't the only ones! I get really worked up over doctors refusing to listen to us or educate themselves further in the area of menopause. I never allowed any female issues to stop me from doing anything I wanted. I was very athletic all until I went through this. I played just about every competitive recreational sport offered year round. I never missed a game due to cramps. I had a wonderful pregnancy and never experienced morning sickness a single time, had to be reminded sometimes that I was pregnant when I was about to do something I shouldn't, was only in labor 3.5 hours, had a totally natural delivery with nothing for pain, and gave birth to a 8 lb. 5 oz. baby boy. I sailed through my partial hysterectomy, was back to riding my horse in less than two weeks after the surgery and used my 6 week sick leave to do my spring cleaning. But, this menopause crap has kicked my rear!!!!
    • Posted

That is very enlightening. No I havnt seen a chiropractor yet but I think that could be another option. I have lots of tight muscle also and have had one symptom after the other. My physio describes my jaw muscles as 'locked tight' . Even she can't ease them off. I'm sure the nerve pain I am feeling is down to tight muscles also. So debilitating and frustrating. Thanks for your info. I will certainly investigate a good chiropractor. Xx
    • Posted

It's worth checking into. It would be horrible if you went through surgery that you possibly might not need. I'm sorry for the LONG posts but I've been through 3 estrogen crashes in the last 20 years but the worst was when I stupidly stopped taking my estradiol and failed to tell me doctor. When my estradiol patch stopped working for me last spring, I developed was is known as a frozen shoulder. I couldn't raise my right arm above my waist. I thought it was my cuff from all the years of playing sports and throwing balls and such. Two docs diagnosed me with bursitis which came as somewhat of a relief since surgery isn't required to fix it. When the anti-inflammatory meds didn't help, I saw my chiropractor who explained to me what a frozen shoulder was and demonstrated some exercises I needed to do. It was long after seeing him that other more common symptoms of low estrogen started to appear. When 2 full patches didn't relieve my symptoms, I knew my days of using the patch were over. I suppose I built up a tolerance to them after 12 years or they just weren't strong enough to handle the additional stress of caring for my granddaughter 24/7. I love her more than life itself but caring for her and running a business from our home was a bit much to juggle. I will say that even though I was horribly overdosed with testosterone by the first pellet doctor, the seized muscles in my shoulder released during that time but returned as soon as the tiny estrogen dose wore off. Now that I'm seeing the second pellet doc and receiving higher doses of estrogen and only a tiny dose of testosterone, my shoulder hasn't given me any additional problems. It's crazy what our hormones or lack of hormones can do to our bodies. And, your describig your jaw muscles as being locked tight reminds me so much of the "clamped shut" feeling I had with my own jaw muscles and the frozen shoulder. The muscles being locked up in my shoulder also caused some nerve pain that ran down to my elbow and sometimes my hand depending on the position in which I attempted to move my arm. As long as I kept it below my waist, I experienced no pain which made it easy to forget I had a problem until I attempted to reach up or back. Ouch. I hope you'll keep us posted and wish you the best of luck.
    • Posted

Thank you. I will. Surgery is not something I would contemplate other than as a last resort and I have more areas to explore. I will mention the hormonal link to the specialist and see what he says. You cannot believe what a relief it is to find someone else with similar symptoms. I have felt like a complete crackpot with all this. Wishing you well. I will let you know what happens. Xxx
    • Posted

Just thought I would let you know that I have had huge headache the last few days which is the same as you described, starting from base of skull. Everything is so tight I feel that my head will burst. Can only describe it as crushing.My jaw I sore and tight also but this continuous headache is driving me insane. Got GP appt tomorrow and specialist for jaw Sat so will see what they say.
    • Posted

Thanks for the update but ouch! can totally relate to the pain and so sorry for what you are going through. Please keep me posted about how your appointment goes. 
    • Posted

Barter, I sure hope you are still reading this forum.  If I wasn't so D----- mad, I would have laughed.  We have A LOT in common.  Have also had three natural births, one at home and even though I am a small woman, a nine pound son.   But ys, this menopause crap crap has also kicked my butt!

What made me mad however, is that I too had the exact same muscle pain you have exxperienced.  It is completely dibilitating.  It started in my lower back right around my last period.  I then got frozen shouder, and wrists that hurt day and night.  Then my muscles in my legs started cramping and would spasm and shake.  I DID YEARS OF CHRONIC CONSTANT PAIN.  It was so bad it would wake me from sleep.  

Hot Fashes and night sweats??    NEVER.

I saw a dozen total doctors.  Internists, rhumatologist, several GPs, a menopause clinic, two doctors who specialize in hormone replacement, chiropractor, and an endocrinologist.  I tried many and any alternative therapy available including physical therapy.  I used herbs, homeopathics, vitamins, did 6 months gluten, caffeine, sugar and dairy free.  Nothing worked.   While I am normally a happy and upbeat person, this kicked my butt to the point where I honestly thought I couldn't go on.  I actually had a doctor tell me that I needed aerobics. I sat and cried.   

It wasn't until I was given vaginal Estrace for atrophy and dryness.........

and low and behold, with regular use ALL THE MUSCLE PAIN WENT AWAY!!! 

Are you kidding me??  After all the money and appointments and years of pain, estrogen solved my problem?  

I am angry.  I am embarrassed by a medical community who thinks they walk on water, who don't have enough brains to ask a woman when she had her last period or if she has had her hormone levels tested.  Some one mentioned that if a man came in with symptoms, they'd never say he was just stressed or depressed.  They'd test his testosterone and immediately replace it.  And they sure as hell wouldn't tell him he needed aerobics.  

What the hell is wrong with our medical community?  Where did we get to the point where all a woman symptoms are in her head?  Why do we have to suffer with so many symptoms, everything from muscle pain to TMJ and be told we have Fibromyalsia?  

I personally believe that once I get my etrogen up to normal levels (I am now doing a very low dose patch and increasing slowly) I will write a letter to every single doctor who wasted my time and collected my money.  These people should be completely embarrassed by their imcompassionate, uneducated, "practice of medicine."  

They're not practicing much, except how to charge the most. 

Keep sharing ladies, cause this is the only way we will ever get the help we need.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.