Seven weeks post THR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a right THR 7 weeks ago. I am still having groin pain and extreme pain and tightness. Hurts all the time. The surgeon has ordered an EMG and blood work. I assume the blood work is to check for infection. Has anyone else had these symptoms 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven’t had those post op symptoms.  So sorry for you.  I hope your doctor will figure it out.  Doesn’t sound right.   Blessings to you.
  • Posted

Hi mitch

Yes I too had continual pain stiffness and later on groin pain . The stiffness was due to have the extra size stem in and the groin pain was the muscles pulling as my whole leg, thigh and bum muscle had all turned to waste I couldn't even lift my own leg this caused my knee to glue so now I'm 5 months nearly and still in physio. The stiffness is minimal now but the groin pain is there all the time but it is just muscles being pulled. I would suggest you get on to phsio and get your exercises going to strengthen. I was so scared initially of making things worse but my physio soon put a stop to that by showing me what the pain of physio and exercises really feels like.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Mitchel,

You are only 7 weeks, tightness is normal and may continue for a few more weeks, I am still getting tightness at 9.5 weeks. Groin pain will come and go as will pain from the hip depending on how much walking you are doing. Overdoing the walking will make the pain worse are you resting enough. My bone down the back of the thigh still hurts and makes me limp at times.

Do not forget you have been cut open, bone sawn, drilled and put back together, it is a big operation that takes time to heal.

• Posted

Hi there. Im into my 9th week post op and my muscles are tighter than ever!! I am thinking it's due to being more mobile, walking alot and the more intense exercises that PT has me do.

I also need to lose about 30 pounds which Im working on. The extra stress on my new hip cant be a good thing.

Once in a while I'll get a "feeling/discomfort" in behind my hip where I SWEAR I can feel the implant. It's all just healing from this invasive operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.