Severe acid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I've developed severe heartburn vwith chest pain and back ache n a very painful tummy a doc I saw on holiday put me on pantoprazole 40mg twice daily and said when I get home to query ulcers n maybe get triple therapy..on return I saw my Dr who vsaid pantoprazole wouldn't be a first choice for this and he put me on ranitidine ,he also said if I came off the pantoprazole I could be tested for h pylori Bacteria in 2weeks time as this causes these symptoms.i got such severe acid I had to go back on pantoprazole n also taking2 150mg ranitidine per day.dr said I could try triple therapy I've heard that pantoprazole can cause stomach cancer I'm scared of it!I had an endoscopy as I was having trouble swallowing no swabs taken nn they said it looked clear I'm also menopausal I've heard that can cause the symptoms what should I do next help!!!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a Dr but I do know taking antacid like Ranitidine only supress symptoms and give temporary relief BUT they actually in long run make heartburn worse. Look it up i'm not very good at explanations anyway regardless of what it is cleaning up your diet is essential to whether you continue with heatburn or live without it but you'll need to sacrifice things you probably like so can you put up with heatburn and eventually become seriously ill or do you want to fix it now once and for good. If you clean up your diet and revert back the problems your having will arise again. 

Ditch caffine and smoking firstly if you partake no soda of any kind basically nothing with any sugars except from fruit do not eat bread of any kind and consume little dairy very little. Do not eat readymeals do not drink alcoholic beverages.

Consume water with every meal meals should be bland initially and it will take around 2 weeks for symptoms to disappear. Consider eating not because you like the taste but because the the food is beneficial to you meaning foods that have anti imflamatory properties or anti fungel ect things like garlic cloves (1 a day) disgusting at first and yes it might bring on your heatburn initially but it really helps and helps with blood circulation to. Drink apple cidre vinegar i know these things seem counter productive but if it is bacteria these help remove it. Herbs like Oregano especially Oregano will help you but do not over do it. You don't even need to prepare a meal get a cup of hot water put oregano cinnamon and honey mixed with a spoonful of apple cidre vinegar and then consume either with or after a garlic clove. Yes it'sabsolutely disgusting the taste but it's 1 minute of your day.

I'd also reccomend a good pro biotic but not necessary although would improve you overall.

If you have any other medical conditions any at all do not take my advice without speaking to a dr or nutrition expert.

• Posted

What useful information. I have already gone down the line of no fats, no dairy, no white bread etc. I cut out caffeine and fizzy drinks several yars ago.  I will have to be careful with some of the advice as i take warfarin and it can be contra indicated with certain foods and herbs.  I am still having acid with a nasty throat cough from time to time which dr says to alleviate with

omeprazole.  Not sure i want to take it long term.

• Posted

Yes well you really shouldn't consume garlic whilst on wafarin as i know it's a anticoagulent you should seek advice from a nutrionist which i am not but doing your own research is great to it's just following through with it.

• Posted

Out of personal experience - I am also post menopausal - please get your stomach acid tested to see if you actually have TOO LITTLE instead of too much! The PPIs are for people who have too much stomach acid and they kill those of us on them, who have not enough stomach acid to start with. They suppressed what little stomach acid I had and gave me such drastic reflux that I was literally burned inside from my stomach up my throat, into my neck, jaw and even eyes! I had chest and back pain, couldn't eat because my mouth was burning and my throat was raw! After I did the simple baking-soda test below, I realized that I have low stomach acid and stopped taking the PPIs altogether...within days, my pain and suffering was somewhat relieved! I'm still not healed, but it definitely is not as bad as while I was on the pantoprazole!

"TEST!!! Some estimates suggest half of individuals over age 55 have inadequate stomach acid.

To perform this test: mix one quarter teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of cold water, first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything except water. Drink the baking soda solution. Time how long it takes to belch. Time up to five minutes. If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing anyway.

If your stomach is producing adequate amounts of hydrochloric acid you should probably belch within two to three minutes. Early and repeated belching may be due to excessive stomach acid. Belching results from the acid and baking soda reacting to form carbon dioxide gas. The Heidelberg or Gastrocap tests can be employed for confirmation of the results of this test."

Just an idea! Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi thanks I will get some do I have to be off ranitidine and pantoprazole to take the test cos I'm on them both at the moment ..what helped us with your symptoms. I have been on my meds a month now I feel unwell I'm at my wit's end

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.