severe anxiety 20 years old

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have bad anxiety since I can remember I am currently 20 years old 

I get the random panic attacks and they last really long I can't remember having a short one 

It seems to amplify my emotions (except for happiness) I suffer around 3 to 4 panic attacks a day most of the time there bad 

I can't think I feel like exploding 

like im going to die

it's so early in my life and I don't know how I can deal with this 

My father so has severe anxiety 

Idk I guess Im looking for some advice 

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi pal, many people feel reluctant to take meds for depression or anxiety disorders but the reality is it's no different to taking meds for any other condition which involves a chemical change in our bodies.

People suffer migraines and they need to take medication, some short term me some long term, some find that through trial and error they get to the cause of the migraine attacks such as chocolate or other foods and by altering their eating habits can avoid or limit their attacks in the same way as changing thinking habits through CBT can help limit or avoid anxiety and deoressive episodes. Until those longer term solutions are found then taking medication is needed.

For us with anxiety we can help ourselves with meditation, relaxation, exercise and diet in the same way a migraine sufferer can go lie in a darkened room to relieve the symptoms.

So my advise is if you need to take the meds for now then take em after all a migraine sufferer wouldn't have a second thought! 

N

• Posted

I know what you mean when you say like you feel like you're going to die. I've definitely felt like I was going to die at least 50+ times, but I'm still here😊. But just tell yourself it is impossible to die from anxiety. I suggest going to therapy for CBT or DBT. Both have helped me a lot. My psychiatrist prescribed me hydroxyzine for panic attacks (I can take it up to 4 times a day) it works like a dream calming me down. I am also on Prozac which seems to be helping. Bottom line is there are many options and anxiety is highly treatable when you find what's best for yoy. I wish you peace and comfort. This won't last forever. If you need a chat or reassurance or to ask questions feel free to private message me. 
  • Posted

Dear Jonathan, this is all excellent advice given here... I have been on medication for more than ten years, I have no side effects and I have got my life back... I was so crippled with depression and panic attacks I simply could not function... I now feel that I can face ANYTHING and I do not wake up in the morning with a sense of dread.... pregabalin is a very good medication for GAD and also pain relief.. go back to your GP and. Ask for more help.. I wish you well young man, take care, sincere regards to you.. Dee xx
  • Posted

Hey Johnathon smile

I'm 21 years old with severe anxiety as well and I go through the same thing you go through everyday. I feel for a short amount of time I'm fine, then the attack comes back and I feel my physical smytoms again. Like me, I feel like I'm dying as well or have a brain tumor have head pressure, tension headaches, weird feelings on my face.... I know thats all in my head, plus anxiety, stress and so on.

What you should do is go see your doctor. Tell them everything thats been going on and how you feel. Medication works wonder if you let it. Get some hobbys, try something new like painting, or video games if you havent. Something to take your mind off the world.

Keep your head up. I know its hard to do, but this too shall pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.