Severe anxiety awaiting hip replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've always been a very nervous person and at present I can't eat sleep or be around people as all I can think of is what if this what if that I'm drinking every day to help numb the fear of surgery next Tuesday Is there anyone else as bad as me I'm a total wreck !

My kids get angry with me but I am who I am I had 1 hip done so they can't understand me but the way I see it I just got lucky and something bad will happen this time round .

What didn't help was my physio said patients often said 2nd is much worse so that's all it needed to send me down hill

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Peoples second hip being worse only means the management and perhaps pain afterwards, its not any more dangerous or difficult.  I suspect it was more of a "a lot of people say" rather than it actualy being the case, theres no medical reason why it should be.  You always have the option of not doing it. If you dont want to then dont, if you do then do - noone will ever force you, your the one in control, not them

• Posted

You are right I don't have to if I don't want to , my surgeon said last time if I cancel again then would never do the op so had intense psychotherapy and got through It's my over active imagination I fight these demons daily , Thankyou for taking time to read and advise

• Posted

Its probably worse around because of reasons like you're going through. They probably anticipate the pain and recovery for a while so it does end up just messing with their mind.. Personally I've never had that surgery, but I have had multiple others. The chances of anything going wrong that isn't in the doctors hands is so minimal, especially when you've been under anethesia before and your body responds well to it.. Anything else that might go wrong, the doctors will be able to handle. Worst case scenario is it's a bit more painful than the last. Stock up on your favorites before you go into the hospital. Is it sad I started to like my surgery recoveries because it was like a mini vacation of movies and food? Haha. Good luck, you'll feel so much better before you even know it!

• Posted

Hey me too , I have always been the carer looking after a family of 6 kids and felt the world would come to an end if I wasn't able to do washing cleaning cooking etc but after some psychotherapy I put myself first for once and let family look after me and no one starved ha they even came round with home made fodder , I felt like I'd had a baby as silly as it sounds my new hip became my new baby Sshh don't send for the men in white coats I'm only slightly mad !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.