Severe anxiety making me unable to function some days

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 53 and I am going through the menopause in think ! My doctor is not being much help regarding going on HR T . I do not know much about it but I feel really upset and extremely anxious constantly ! I also  have a big issue about tablets putting weight on me and have heard the HRT canot causd weight gain . Any help regarding this issue would be very much appreciated.  I don't think I can go on much longer with the intrusive thoughts and low mood . Thank you to anyone who takes time to read this . I feel for all of you who are going through similar symptoms xxxxx Elaine 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Completely understand how you are feeling.  It’s vile isn’t it ? I’m not on HRT, but anxiety has been one of my worst symptoms.  I have dizaepam to take if it gets too bad.  I rarely take them to be honest.  My best advice is to accept it, the more you struggle with it the worse it gets.  It’s hormonal for sure and I know many people get it.  All of the B vitamins are good and magnesium.  It’s stopped me from driving very far sad  wish I had a magic pill to get rid of it.  Sending a you a big hug xx Deb

• Posted

HI Elaine, I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way sad I know exactly how you feel. I felt just like that...and still do on some days just not everyday anymore. The key is really being gentle with yourself, knowing it is hormones and keeping yours mind and body active. Not too active but light walks and coloring or reading etc for your mind. You will come through this and feel better. Trust me! Stay on here reading and posting. We have some beautiful ladies on here that are able to help. Take care and I will be praying for you smile

• Posted

HI there,

sorry to hear you are having such a rough time.

Sounds to me that if your doctor won't help you should ask about being referred to a menopause clinic.

Also, although my anxiety wasn't nearly as bad as yours, I did find that taking the supplement Selenium helped me greatly - to the point I don't feel I need to take tablets for it!

I'm sure there will be plenty other women on here that can help you much more.

All the very best

• Posted

Hi Elaine I completely   empathise.    I too have anxiety which has ruined the last 2 years of my life.  Unable to function    properly and have missed out on so many things.  All due to peri meno. 

The medics are useless in this field in my experience being fobbed off.  The only option seems private clinic with bio identical hormones, proper info and help and support. This in itself is a minefield it seems.

I like all you ladies are probably shocked like I am by how on earth this meno can possibly make you feel so ill, that's how I describe it, ive had some things in my time but never ever felt SO bad.

So don't let it beat you and accept it for now.  

Keep posting on here we need support for sure.......xxx

• Posted

Hi Elaine 

I agree with the other two ladies, sorry to say, it’s hard, very hard going through this crap the dreaded menopause..

I can’t take HRT either due to blood clots on my lungs, so my doc more or less said to get on with it ( he wants to try ) Iv been going through it for four years now, you will come out the other end, as we all will... 

I so feel for you as I understand every thing you feeling, and think you can’t go on like this any more.. but we do some how, think manly as we are woman ?? Give it to a man, and the world would stand still..

U don’t say y u can’t have HRT ??

Keep you mind focus, the best you can, and keep talking to other on here, we are all here to listen and we understand what it is like for you.. big hug 🤗x

• Posted

Hi Elaine! I too feel like I’m at my wits end!  The depression and red mist are horrific and steadily getting worse!  I was put on anti depressants but I have a high pressured senior job and the brain fog was  terrible so came off it!  So tired but can’t sleep either!  Have been using 5HTP which is a natural low dose anti depressant and helps a little!  Having had a complete meltdown in the middle of Bristol at the weekend meeting my son at uni, I decided that I need to get something sorted and am going to pay to go to a private clinic for tests, as my gp is useless!  The only other thing is mindfulness!  It can really help.  There are a few apps out there, one called Headspace, 10 mins everyday!  Also, if u get a chance read one of Ruby Wax’s books or see her touring show!  She is clinically depressed and been sectioned a couple of times - seeing the humour in it is liberating!!  Hang in there xx
    • Posted

Only joined today I don't recognise myself at the mo so thought I'd try here. Thanks for the advice, taking it on board right now. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Elaine sorry to hear your going through this. I’m the same, I’m on hrt patches as I carnt take the tablets. I’ve been on them about 18 monthes and feel a lot better. My anxiety is still looming but not half as bad as it was xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen thank you so much for your reply . Do you find you have put on weight with the HRT patches . I know this sounds likea a strange question but I have an eating disorder which is under control . But this issue still concerns me ! Thank you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.