Severe Atopic Dermatitis (Redness and Pain) from Shaving - Rhofade?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know that Rhofade is specifically for rosacea, but, could  possibly be efficacious for severe facial dermatitis with significant erythema (redness)

The most current Rx for general dermatitis is called: Eucrisa

My theory (concerning my facial redness) is that beginning at age 12,

I was Dx with cystic acne.

I was placed on (2) rounds of Accutane, and used a kaleidoscope of ointments (benzyl peroxide) and many other creams,

including corticosteriods, for ----years----

I think the Accutane damaged my skin's ability to moisturize itself.

As a result, even ------lightly---- shaving my face results in profound blotches of unsightly redness (and pain)

I have tried Elidel and Protopic...and now the new Eucrisa.

I know I do not necessarily have rosacea, but in many respects, what I have is profoundly worse.

And although the conditions do clinically differ erythema is one variable both have in common

I have tried everthing.  You name it...whether a Rx or OTC I have tried it

Has anyone tried Rhofade for a condition such as mine.  The main symptom is redness that lasts for hours

Mirvaso was a nightmare..it caused permanent "white blotchy areas" on my skin.

I an looking forward to anyone who might be kind enough to provide feedback, especially as it relates to Rhofade results   

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, just to let you know that I have a similar problem. I have rosacea (mainly on the nose) and very sensitive and dry skin.

Dry shaving was a nightmare, no matter what kind of shaver I used (rotary or vibrating). My only option is wet shaving although shaving soap or foam dries my skin out and irritates it. I resorted to wet shaving and using Head and Shoulders conditioner instead of shaving foam. It does not dry out my skin, it makes the razor glide well, and I think the ingredient zinc pyrithione is anti-inflamatory reducing the redness of my skin (after shaving). Other than that I always make sure to use sharp razor blades and I avoid going against the grain. 

I understand your predicament. For important occasions I shave the night before just to give my face a chance to recover. I personally would not use Rhofade after shaving due to the listed side effects and the fact that you are not supposed to use it on broken or irritated skin. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.