Severe bout of Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have always been a nervous/self-concious/shy guy, but I started with GAD about 8 years years ago. I've been medication free for over a year, it's funny that through that time I've been through some of the most stressful times a person could go through. I bought a house and shortly afterward lost my job, spent a month getting turned down for jobs, worrying about not being able to pay the mortgage, until eventually taking a job I didn't 100% want.

I can't say that through that period I was anxiety free, though I can say I dealt with things fairly well. I'm a year into said employment and organising a wedding (18th of July!) and, well, I'm screwed. It's been pretty stressful at work recently, that coupled with feeling that I should be doing something else, trying to organise my own stag do/suit fitting (cheers best men, the reason I chose two of you) and helping organise everything else, I feel like I'm finally begining to crack.

The past few days have been hell, I've been experiencing severe anxiety at work, on the train home and even at home, where I really should know I'm safe. I wouldn't say today as been as bad as previous days in terms of stress, but I left work feeling terrible, I got half way to the train station and I was so close to finding somewhere to hide and asking someone to travel the 30-odd miles to come and rescue me. I was dreading walking into the centre of town, but I stealed myself and realised after a while that it wasn't so bad.

I feel so close to going to the doctors and going back on the medication, but having been on them for so long prior I really don't want to go back there. I feel like if I do, I'd be surrendering to it. I want to fight it. I know that for the most part my thought processes are dictated by the lessons/fears learned by a 3 year old with an agressive father, but I also know that I can overcome that.

I'm considering private therapy, my experience on the NHS has been mixed, and a little impersonal. But for now I'm considering short term meds like Diazepam, just to take when I can feel the stress building.

What do people think?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Diazepam good just now and again...try meditation ...mindfulness by Danny Penman and Mark Williams....thrive...by Rob Kelly...worth a go....!!
    • Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been quite reactive to stress in the work place, would be kinda tricky to get some time out to meditate. Useful for when I get home though I guess, I'll give it a try!
  • Posted

Get the book.....follow it through...trust me you can find 1 minute....it is worth a go....get it on Amazon....Mindfulness finding peace in a Frantic world....please.......!
  • Posted

Hey, I encourage you not to take the meds again. After your wedding which is no doubt the trigger stressing you out, you will feel totally different. I support the person recommending the book if that helps. For more immediate therapy, you can try counselling. Might be a long wait though. To relax and destress, I listen to meditation music on Youtube, or sounds of rain and thunder videos. Maybe download some and listen to it on your mp3 player with headphones?

What I would do is leave aside all thoughts of changing employment. I know the feeling exactly - been in and out of 3 jobs within about 1 year before - at University now. The manager in my first job was horrible and I used to dread it whenever he was around. I just didn't think about it when I got home - remember the work/life separation. Don't think about stresses of work when you get home - home's for chilling and enjoying life. I mean ideally, you want to feel the same relaxed state at work, maybe talk to your colleagues or manager about your stress so they are aware of it. But keep going, Diazepam is really not good for staying alert - it will make you drowsy and forget where you are (experience of a friend). And share your feelings with others - helps to lighten the burden and makes you feel better. All the best

• Posted

i have suffered with anxiety for near on 20 years luv to the point were it has taken over my life and wont travel anywere i have started deep breathing which helps i use relaxatin tapes and cd i did get rid of it at ne time when i was having accupuncture only thing that realy helped me i had t stop due to finances i wont take antdepresents im on diazapam been on then 45 yrs so my body used to them but i would no about it if i stopped taking them i have appointment with accupuncture next week and one for hypnotheropy thurdayi also have ibs were im in pain every day it is horrible to live with all we can tell ourselfs is it cant kill you but it dosnt stop our feelings stick in there luv

hugs mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.