Severe continuing problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Almost 6 weeks since gallbladder removal.  Sever diarrhea continues.  I've been taking 4 questran (generic) per day, up from the 2 I started with and felt like the increase was helping, but now it just seems like it's getting worse.  I see my GP on Monday.  He prescribed the questran for me about 5 weeks ago.  Can anyone suggest anything else that might help?  I'm lucky that I don't have pain, but am still having a lot of discomfort in my abdomen and gurgling feeling where my gallbladder used to be immediately after I eat.  This has become debilitating and I am soiling my bed at night and afraid to leave the house unless it's to see the doc.  Feeling weak and very hopeless.  Thanks.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ndm I tried the questran too and it made me worse. Try caltrate 600 d. They are calcium tablets which bind the stool. Start with half a tablet 3 times a day with food and then work up to a full tablet 3 times a day. It stopped my diarrhea. I'm off it now and am taking probiotics which are controlling the diarrhea. Some people have diarrhea for a number of months after surgery And then things settle down. I'm sorry your suffering. Like you I had no pain just diarrhea mainly in the morning. If I could turn back the clock I'd get my gallbladder back with the stone! The only thing is I know people who have had similar experiences and it did all settle down in time. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply in the midst of your own problems!!  I'll have my husband look for the caltrate 600 d.  I'd love to have the diarrhea stop.  It's been going on for 4 months now and I've lost 40 lbs which in itself isn't a bad side effect but being tied to the house and the bathroom is no fun, as you know.  Thank you again for the info!
    • Posted

4 months! That's terrible. God love you. Jennifer is right about the digestive enzymes as well. I tried them but I started getting the nausea and vomiting around the same time so I stopped taking it. Anything is worth a try. Take care. X
    • Posted

Ndm the caltrate is calcium carbonate with 600mg of calcium and also has vitamin d. It's very important to get the one with the vitamin d as it helps absorb the calcium. I got it here in Ireland no problem and I know you can get it In the states as well as I've seen other people talking about it on other forums. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. X
  • Posted

Oh ndm I am SO sorry to hear this! Perhaps ask your GP about Welchol? It's also a cholesterol binding med but the best one. Hopefully you have insurance? You might also want to add digestive enzymes & a probiotic like we discussed, those alone helped me drop the Welchol completely. Keep us posted on your visit Monday.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer what digestive enzymes are you taking and how many? When did you have your surgery? Are you fully recovered now? Sorry for all the questions!

• Posted

Hi Ace. You can never ask too many questions smile I have posted on here many times. My surgery was Oct 2013. Didn't start having issues until Mar 2014, was placed on statins then to control the "D", opted to go all natural and take digestize enzymes and a probiotic & modify diet instead of the RX. I take probiotics. They work great for me, been on them for almost a year now. Fully recovered, NO. I still have pain where GB used to be, like so many other post-op patients. I have had test after test done and they can find nothing so they RX pain pills and send you on your way. Currently not pleased and waiting for an Endoscopy a week from today for more answers. 
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer I am so sorry that you are still in pain and I hope you get answers soon. I am delighted that the probiotics and digestive enzymes are working for you. I take vsl3 as I had ulcerative colitis and had my Colon removed and have a jpouch the last 20 years. Unfortunately gallstones are common with my history. I am also on a ppi zoton fastab as have some gastritis. I live in Ireland but will look into the digestive enzymes you mention. Are you able to eat normally now? I can't eat much at all since the operation and with the vomiting and nausea too. I am so afraid I'll never be normal again. It's very hard when everyone you know who had the gallbladder removed is fine and had no issues. The only thing keeping me going is that someone who works with my husbands friend had the same thing happen and eventually everything settled down. So hopefully I will feel better soon. I wish you well with your scope and I hope you get answers. Thanks again. X
    • Posted

I totally understand. If one more person says to me "I had my GB out and I am fine" I am going to PUNCH them in the face lol. It wears you down mentally & physically. I eat normal but do not indulge in extreme fat like pizza, otherwise, yes. You can take 1-3 DE's after each meal depending on how "fat" the meal was. I always take 1. I'm pretty sure I will never be normal again at this point sad but I keep trudging on. I am so glad you have someone to "share" this with, I do not. No one seems to understand. 
    • Posted

I totally agree. Am sick of people saying to me there must be something else wrong with you as I had mine out and can eat anything. It's totally infuriating. I was in hospital last week for a few days for tests and they put me in a ward with a woman who had her gallbladder removed that morning. She had tea and toast and then 2 big fat cakes vomited all night then and got up the next day and ate a big breakfast then had a scone and butter and a load of chocolates and said to me I'm great! I was sickened. My surgeon is telling me to stop stressing and it will all settle down but that's ok for him to say. I have a 4 year old son to look after and I can barely look after myself! The person that works with my husband is an odd ball and won't talk to me about what happened so I'm kind of on my own too. I have never had aniexty in my life but have had it the last few weeks and it's scary! Hopefully it will all go soon. Thanks again. X
    • Posted

OMG! Regarding lady in hospital room with you. I would have choked her LOL!!!! Wow @ settle down. When was your surgery? Pretty sure mine has settled HA. Anxiety sucks, it is ruining my life. feel free to post here anytime, I'm pretty quick to reply unless asleep ha.
    • Posted

Thanks Jennifer. I had my surgery 12 weeks ago. Had to be opened up due to adhesions. They had to cut through my previous scar so 10 inch cut. Thankfully that's all healed just this bloody nausea non stop and now the aniexty with it! Bloody nightmare. Did you have nausea after your surgery? X
    • Posted

You poor thing!! I had keyhole thankfully. I did not have nausea but could not take pain pills as I had reactions to them so I suffered with no meds. It was awesome lol. Maybe you do need more time to heal??
    • Posted

I know Jennifer that's what my doctor and surgeon keep telling me that it was a massive operation and it's going to take time to recover And settle down. I was 3 hours in theatre! God love you not been able to take the pain meds. That must have been fun alright. Jesus we are a pair of crocks! Where you ok after the operation and then the diarrhea started 6 months later? X
    • Posted

Yes I was fine until the "D" hit. I was put on cholesterol binding meds at that point but due to side effects I chose to stop that med and started on all natural digestive enzymes and a probiotic. If I watch my diet, so far so good. My only issue now is the pain I experience where GB used to be. And 20 tests later, no one can figure it out. I hope your recovery is speedy and less pain!! xx
    • Posted

Delighted the natural approach is working for you. I'm all for it. I took questran for a few days and it made my diarrhea worse and made me vomit. I wish I had of tried more natural stuff to get rid of the gallstone! Did you have gallstones too? My gallbladder was perfect which is the very annoying part of it all. So many people are having their gallbladders removed when the organ is perfect but the stones are causing the problems. There must be an alternative to this for all those people whose gallbladder are normal. All this rubbish that you don't need your gallbladder is wrong in my opinion. They need to start looking at the cause of the problems. I hope you find out what's causing your pain. It's terrible that so many people have the surgery and get the same pain back within a short space of time. X
    • Posted

Yes I had a HUGE gallstone stuck in my GB. And my GB was so decayed, they had to scrape it off my liver sad It wasn't pretty. Totally agree with the healthy GB/stones statement. You would think in 2015 we would be more advanced in these things, especially considering this is one of the most popular surgeries performed worldwide!!
    • Posted

God that sounds very painful. My surgeon told me mine was too big to get out and was stuck in the gallbladder rattling around causing the pain. He said in time it would have caused me more problems. 😞 It stinks being in the small percentage that encountered problems. My only fear is that I develop bile salt diarrhea although my surgeon said its very rare. They don't even tell people what to expect afterwards. I was told I could eat everything I wanted!! And the woman beside me in hospital last week who ate rings around her was told her surgery was a complete success!! She didn't even know where her gallbladder was!! X
    • Posted

Unreal. Bile Acid Diarrhea is NOT rare sadly. Maybe where you are? Certainly not in the US. I hope you do not get it though smile Yes you need to stick to low faw after surgery for awhile and slowly add things back. Proceed with caution! ha
    • Posted

I have a feeling there's a lot of people out there with bile salts diarrhea who haven't been diagnosed yet or think they have ibs. Don't know anyone here who has it but am on a Facebook group for it just in case! Haven't had any fatty food since the operation. Couldn't stomach anything fatty at the moment until this nausea and vomiting stops! In my bed with my big bucket in case I vomit during the night! The joys of it all! Unfortunately we can't turn the clock back and have to keep going and hope for the best! X
    • Posted

I totally agree about IBS & BSD. I am also on a FB group for IBS, I'm wondering if we are on the same group? HA! There is a Gallbladder Removal group too if you didn't know. I'm there too. I'm so sorry you are nauseaus sad I hope it passes soon. Did they give you anything for that? So true about turning back the clock. If only.
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer I'm on the bsm Facebook group. Are you on that group too? It's terrible the number of people on that group suffering after gallbladder removal. They are a great bunch of people and very supportive too. It freaked me out a little reading there symptoms and I had myself convinced I had bsm but hopefully not. I didn't know there was a gallbladder removal page. Would be afraid to join that at this stage. The more I read the more stressed I feel! I have to keep telling myself that most people recover from the operation and it can take up to a year for the body to fully adjust. The doctor has given me zofran for the nausea. But it's given me loose stools and makes me very tired. Drinking ginger tea to see if that helps! How many probiotics do you take a day? I'm taking 2 sachets of vsl3. I take both together at night as I was having the diarrhea first thing in the morning. X
    • Posted

I'm not on the BSM group, didn't know there was one! Glad you have Zofran! Awesome re: ginger tea, excellent choice. That will help with gas too. I take 1 probiotic per day but you can take up to 3 a day. Bless your heart! Maybe you should try another probiotic? Or a different statin?
    • Posted

The zofran helps but makes me feel very sleepy and gives me loose stools. My surgeon doesn't want me to try any more statins for now as I was very sick on them already. I am feeling very low today and am sick of this nausea. It's taken over my whole life and there's nothing I can do just wait it out and hope it settles. It's like my life is on hold. Am lucky I have a very supportive husband and my two kids are great too. Thank you for your kind words and support. It's great to talk to someone who understands. I am hoping in a few months I'll look back on this and say thank god I got through it. X
    • Posted

I totally agree Ace. Nausea can't last forever! So glad you have a support team at home. I did this alone. It wasn't fun. Especially when the cat box needed to be cleaned and I couldn't bend over much less pick it up ha. Sorry you are not having a good morning sad Hang in there, this too shall pass! 
    • Posted

Ah Jennifer I'm sorry you had to go through this on your own. Life is not fair. Your such a good and supportive person. I hope you get answers after your scope and they can sort you out soon. Take care. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.