Severe continuing problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

Almost 6 weeks since gallbladder removal.  Sever diarrhea continues.  I've been taking 4 questran (generic) per day, up from the 2 I started with and felt like the increase was helping, but now it just seems like it's getting worse.  I see my GP on Monday.  He prescribed the questran for me about 5 weeks ago.  Can anyone suggest anything else that might help?  I'm lucky that I don't have pain, but am still having a lot of discomfort in my abdomen and gurgling feeling where my gallbladder used to be immediately after I eat.  This has become debilitating and I am soiling my bed at night and afraid to leave the house unless it's to see the doc.  Feeling weak and very hopeless.  Thanks.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh noooooooo!!!!!!! 

You have me really worried now! 

Im so sorry for  you , after all the pain of the gallbladder you expect to be fit and well after it's gone dont you! 

Im in the uk so dont know what to suggest to help you , sorry but I hope someone can xxxx

• Posted

I hope it doesn't sound awful to say, but I'm comforted by the fact that we aren't alone in this experience.  It's terrible!!  Perhaps it is the binder that is making my "D" worse (I so much prefer that to the dreaded word which is now a daily part of my life!).  My wonderful husband who does the shopping is often "creative" and so far I'm scared to send him out on a search for Caltrate 600d and I'm not in shape to wander around the aisles without an adult diaper which don't come in my XXL size, but may have to take a chance before too long. 

The pain, the nauseau, the "D", the lack of information of exactly what to eat (I keep getting the "eat what you want" line too--I don't WANT to eat anything as even what seems safe to me causes almost immediate problems) and the advice that "your body will adjust" (WHEN????) is so frustrating.  I agree, how can there not be more known when this operation is so common?

It's a living nightmare for many of us, and the hopeless feelings are as bad as the symptoms.  I keep asking my husband "Do you think I'll ever feel better?"  He's worn down and frightened by my continuing illness.  While I know I'm lucky in having his support and help, I also hate to see the toll it is taking on him.  I think he needs a support group, too!

It's a blessing to come here where we all understand.  My heart goes out to all of you.  I see my GP on Monday and I'm praying he will some ideas for me besides Immodium, but I will discuss dropping the Questran.  Thank you all!

• Posted

Ah ndm didn't see your post before I posted mine. Thank god we can all share how we feel here. If the questran isn't helping I would drop it. I took it for a few days and had worse diarrhea and nausea and vomited buckets of bile. I'm so sorry we are all going through this And like you keep asking my husband am I ever going to get better. It is so frightening to feel like this all day every day. I hope you can try the caltrate as it might stop the diarrhea. Like you am sick of the doctors telling me that it will settle down in time. The worst thing for me is that I am much worse now than before the operation. I only had the pain from the stone. No bloody nausea, diarrhea or vomiting. Have cried more in the last few weeks than I have in my whole life. The anxiety this causes is horrendous. I never experienced anxiety before and to be honest could never understand people who suffered from it. I have a whole new perspective now! My surgeon who has looked after me for 22 years said he never saw me like this before! I hope and pray we all turn this big corner very soon and start to feel better. It's reassuring that I'm not alone albeit there seems to be very few of us out there. Take care of yourself. X
  • Posted

Right there with you ndm! Have your husband sign on and create an account ha! We can talk to him too. For the Caltrate D, you can get that at any corner drug store or supermarket! It's easy to find. Please keep us posted on your appt Monday and hang in there smile
    • Posted

Jennifer meant to ask you how long did it take for your appetite to come back after the surgery? Is your appetite normal now? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance x Corina
    • Posted

I had appetite after surgery but was afraid to eat so I ate light. Appetite has been fine ever since. ask all the questions you want! 
    • Posted

Thanks Jennifer. Hoping when the nausea settles my appetite will come back. Have to drink build up drinks when it all settles too. Am less than 100lbs so can't afford anymore weight loss. Are your probiotics sachets or pills? X
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer!!  I'll tell him!

He brought home the Caltrate and I started taking it today.  Told the pharmacist over the phone that I did not want anymore Welchor (or whatever the bile binder is called) but she put $50 worth of it in with my other prescriptions!  Waste of money.  Don't know if it was making things worse, but it certainly wasn't helping.  I'll be sure to let you know what my GP says.  I trust him, but I fear he will refer me to the gastro guy who will order tests and I'm not feeling strong enough to traipse around from pillar to post, altho I know I should be grateful for insurance and medical care.  At this point I've run out of patience and energy.  I know you all understand!

• Posted

Good Morning! Glad you got the Caltrate! Welchol is what I was on too. I still have my huge bottle. No doubt a Gastro is in your future based on your issues, maybe once you feel better? Hope you have a good day!
    • Posted

Hi ndm glad you got the caltrate. I hope you start to see an improvement soon. Keep us posted. Take care. X
  • Posted

I agree with Ace Johnston. You can also try immodium, it helps to slow down the runny tummy. Probiotics afterwards will help you sustain healthy defecation. Let us know how things are going and if you have improved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.