Severe health anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

please can anyone relate to what I'm going through.

my health anxiety is through the roof, my biggest fear has always been cancer, but that has now changed to a neurological condition, I'm frightened to death that I have mnd/Al's. I suffer with very bad joint stiffness, twitches, muscle aches, sleep disturbances, like abruptly jumping awaking in the night struggling for breath. I've suffered with all this for many years as well as lots of other issues. today I went to see a physio who ran s few tests on me, she said she thinks I have arthritis and an impingment and also hypomobility. I was ok with all that but then she tested my reflexes, she didnt say anything regarding them, but I've read that brisk reflexes can be linked to mnd so I asked her if they were ok, she said they were brisk and has anyone mentioned it before. well that was it I was in a state of panic, my heart stared pounding and I thought I was going to throw up. she didnt seem too bothered by it and said some people are like that, but it was too late she had already freaked me out. I told her I was worried about mnd but she said dont worry about that you are not showing signs of mnd. but I've since come home and googled about brisk teflexes and guess what comes up. I'm absolutely passed myself

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Lisa, I've had your very symptoms and then some for about 5 yrs now. The worst in waking up out of a dead sleep feeling like you're suffocating, gasping for air. I've had muscle twitching non-stop all over my body for about 5 yrs now. Likewise, I get joint stiffness and very noisy joints as well. My doctor refused to send me to a neurologist because I didn't present with clinical weakness or atrophy. Truth be told I was fine with this because I felt if it was serious, but had a few yrs left of function, I'd rather not know and enjoy those years of being able to function still along with clinging to hope.

I still have health anxiety to this day and struggle daily. I still have the concerns you mention. Symptom wise it's been a struggle these past 5 yrs. The more I read though about generalized anxiety the more I question way of thinking which is good. Apparently there's quite a bit that can cause ALS symptoms such as herniated discs or spinal stenosis and compression. Hyperstimulation can cause a lot of symptoms that appear neurological.

An example of this was having this weird feeling in my left hand along with my fingers twitching or moving on their own. It felt like my left hand was clumsy and things felt odd. Then I developed numbness and tingling in left arm. It even felt weak. Then suddenly for a good stretch all these symptoms disappeared as other symptoms arose.

I still weigh the same as I did 5 yrs ago and maybe a little more to be honest. I still have my concerns, but there's also that side that questions my logic and way of thinking. I will say that cutting out caffeine entirely helped a lot with the muscle twitching.

Feel free to message me direct if needed. Anyway, good luck - I can empathize with you for sure.

• Posted

thankyou so much for replying, health anxiety is awful, it was only when she mentioned brisk reflexes that I panicked as I read this was a symptom of mnd, I overthink everything and the fact I twitch which is also related I just panicked x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.