Severe Health Anxiety - Need Reassurance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I'm a 20 year old female who has suffered from severe anxiety - especially health anxiety - for my entire life. For the past 2 months I've gone through a particularly rough episode of health anxiety that started with the onset of physical symptoms after a period of high stress. I've had sharp stabbing/shooting pains in my head, body-wide tingling/numbness at random times, chest pain, heart palpitations and high heart rate, weird feelings of pressure in my head, prickling feelings on my head and face, jaw and facial pain/soreness, burning feelings in my head and much more. I've gone through a chain of various illnesses/conditions that I convinced myself I have including MS, brain abscess, brain tumor, brain aneurysm, skull cancer and more. I went to multiple doctors all of which have put my symptoms down to anxiety and tension.

However, my new obsession is vertebral artery dissection, which all started about a week ago when I was doing some stretches to release tension and felt this weird feeling of slight coolness/tingling go down my neck to my right shoulder/arm as I turned my head to the side. This feeling subsided after a few minutes but I immediately thought of an article I had read about a woman who tore her vertebral artery while doing a challenging yoga pose and had a stroke a few days later. It wasn't long before the thought moved from the back of my mind to the forefront of my worries, and I hopped on google and began reading article after article about symptoms, stories and medical records of vertebral artery dissection. I wasn't experiencing the main symptoms listed (severe neck pain, severe to moderate headache in back of head or unilateral headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, balance issues, loss of senses, stroke symptoms) but then I read that sometimes the onset of symptoms is gradual and it could take hours, days and even weeks for symptoms to appear. Naturally this sent me into a panic that I would begin to experience these symptoms any minute, and I added this to my long list of health fears. On top of the symptoms I'd been having that I listed above, I then began to feel like there was a weird feeling of pressure at the base of my skull. Then I began to feel this weird pulsing sensation around this area and I began to envision that this must be my artery tearing, pooling blood and the blood collecting to form a clot. Then I started getting dull jabbing feelings around this same area that really freaked me out. At this point I was in a state of pure panic and my fears were bouncing from brain aneurysm to brain tumor to vertebral artery dissection every minute.

Finally my roommate had had enough of my obsessing and panicking and a few days ago took my to the emergency room. I was given a CT scan of my brain and a strong dose of anxiety medication since my heart rate was soaring (165 at one point). After the doctor came in and assured me that the CT scan was clear and my brain looked healthy I felt immensely better, and by the next day pretty much all of my symptoms that I'd had for months magically subsided.

However, I began to worry that a vertebral artery dissection wouldn't show up on a CT scan of the brain, since it could be located in my neck. I then began to realize that I still had a weird feeling of pressure around the base of my skull, so this fear of a VAD continued to manifest in the back of my mind, though I tried to ignore it since everyone was so happy that I was feeling better and not panicking anymore. I continue to worry that the symptoms are slowly appearing, and today I felt like my neck might be sore/hurting and for a moment a had this dull ache in the back of my head. And I still feel that weird pressure thing at the base of my skull sometimes, and like I can feel my pulse in the back of my neck sometimes too. I'm trying really hard to ignore this fear but it's been the only thing I can think about today. I don't know if my obsession and constant worrying about a VAD has caused me to start manifesting physical symptoms or if I'm hyperfocused on my neck/back of head and reading normal feelings as discomfort, but either way I can't seem to shake this worry. I know that a vertebral artery dissection is incredibly rare and usually the result of blunt force trauma or extreme/jerky neck movements but I can't get the thought out of my mind. I'm just so scared that my stretching caused a tear that's just continuing to grow until it causes a stroke. I know my mom is tired of wasting money on my imaginary illnesses so I don't want to go back to the hospital, so I was hoping someone could give me some reassurance about this so I can get over this. Does anyone think I could tear my vertebral artery by stretching and that my symptoms could be indicative of VAD, or is my anxiety just taking over?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

sorry you are so scared but it sounds like you are overthinking this and creating some symptoms by actually believing you have this condition. The symptoms went away after the CT scan but then when you started worrying again they appeared. The mind is a very powerful thing and when you tell it something is wrong, it will respond.and get your mind on other things and stay busy and you just might find that the symptoms will go away. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Yes thats very true I know my mind has made up symptoms before.. I'm just very worried about this strange jabbing feeling at the top of my neck. Unlike most of my other symptoms it still remains there even when I'm calm and sometimes I feel it when I move my jaw or turn my head... I don't know if this could just be pulled muscle and I'm overthinking it or if it is a sign of something more serious.

• Edited

Hi Sydney,

I'm in my 30's and have suffered from health anxiety since my late teens. Therapy has helped me so much, but over the years I have convinced myself I have had pretty much everything under the sun, including CAD (spolier alert: I didn't have it). Try to keep in mind that ER doctors know what to look for, and that would be a massive thing for them to overlook. Also, if you are experiencing any neurological symptoms (or almost any symptoms at all), that would mean the CAD was bad enough to show up on a CT scan. I know its hard to move past these scary thoughts, but I am confident that you will be just fine!

• Edited

Thank you that does make me feel better. I have to remind myself that my symptoms come and go and a VAD/CAD would only get progressively worse. So hard to keep all of the CAD horror stories I've heard out of my head, its good to know someone else has struggled with this fear.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.