Severe pain after 3 level lumber fusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a three level lumbar fusion 5 weeks ago. Operation cured sciatic pain in my left leg, but immediately after I started to have pain in right groin. Since coming home the burning pain has increased and has spread around the hip and thigh muscles are going into spasm, and now my left hip has now started to ache. Surgeon has said everything is as it should be. 

The pain is driving me mad. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had a multi level fusion in April 2017 and within 2 weeks I was in the Er with groin and leg pain , severe,,  after checking the hardware was where it should be the doctor concluded that  my nerves were inflamed .  He said sometimes that happens after they’ve been compressed before the surgery .  I was treated with a dose of steroids in the ER and then a medtol dose pack at home and within a few days the pain was completely gone and did not come back. Don’t be discouraged I no longer have any pain at all now but over the first six months different aches and pains would come back and they said it was because the nerves were rejuvenating and becoming healthy again
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, much appreciated. Great that you have improved. I live in France and it is difficult with the language barrier to comfortably chat and suggest steroid to my doctor. I am seeing him tomorrow and will let you know what he says. I am suffering even more these last couple of days as the hospital took me off of morphine and put me on two other drugs and now I am having withdrawal symptoms which are horrid. Can't wait for this nightmare to end. 

• Posted

Hi Madeleine, It could be that you were walking out of alignment before you had the fusion, due to the sciatic pain, and now that your spine has been corrected, all your muscles nerves and ligaments are being pulled on.

Five weeks is not very long to recover from a fusion. Have you been having physio, and have they any theories about the new pain. Physios are very good at getting everything into alignment and strengthened up.

• Posted

I forgot to say that I was wearing a brace also. I was supposed to wear it fit 3 months but at about 8 weeks post op my groin and hips were aching. My neuro said stop wearing the brace.. it was actually causing the pain. It was easy to tell since off the brace there was no pain there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.