severe pain and discomfort

Posted , 6 users are following.

i had my prostate removed 7 weeks ago have been in 4 times now to get the catheter removed on 3 occasions i was told i hadn't healed the last time which was yesterday they said i more than likely have a urinary infection i told them ihad thrush and had been treating it for the last 7 days i now have to wait another 2 weeks by the way it is the same catheter from day one all the have given me is a 1 week course of antibiotics this will be the 3rd course i've been on they also subscribed me some valium to help me relax i'm not sure this is helping over the last 4 weeks i can only discribe it as hell i feel i have no where to turn they only smile and say it's normal

0 likes, 18 replies

Report / Delete

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It sounds like you are really having a hard time. You will get lots of help and advice on here, everyone is great. My partner had a catheter for three days and was worried about infection but he was ok. He was on Cipro. I'm not sure that the same catheter should stay in place for all those weeks but I'm no expert. Everybody heals in their own time and what is normal for one person is not for another. Hope you feel better very soon .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Greg,

Sorry what you're going through. Unless your doctors think it's contraindicated, ask if you can have a suprapubic catheter instead of the Foley. It should be much more comfortable as no tubes in the urethra. Suprapubic's also have a lower incidence of UTI's. Later, if you still need a catheter, consider self catherization (CIC) to empty your bladder. No reason to be on a Foley long term unless you have to.

Jim

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had a suprapubic one in hospital after heart surgery as theyhad not been able to get a foley in.Ā  I presume at home that the bag is fited to a belt round your waist. In hospital I had that a container for fluid draining from my lung and a ecg monitor to drag around.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How comfortable or uncomfortable was it for you? Have you ever had a Foley to compare it to?

The suprapubic can be fitted to a bag or with a "Flip-Flo" valve. The advantage of the bag is continuous drainage of the bladder if that is required. The advantage of the Fli-Flo valve is no bag to carry around, and you can then empty into a container or toilet when the bladder fills up. The Flip-Flo used properly can also exercise your detrussor muscles which can minimize or eliminate bladder retraining which is sometimes necessary after being on a Foley. You can also go back and forth between the Flip-Flo and bag, as for example the bag at night for uninterrupted sleep and the Flip-Flo during the day.

I've never been on either but seriously looked into the suprapubic when I was having difficulty self cathing in the very beginning. Fortunately, the self cathing worked out so it was unecessary. 

Jim

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i feel a bit embarrassed i'm not very good with the medical terms al i know is the catheter goes up my uretha and into my bladder it has a baloon attached to it to keep it in place i have the bag strapped to my upper leg i've told the doctors although the bag fills up i leak half as much from the penis

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The catheter was the least of my problems at that time post surgery.

Ā I had a bag for two weeks after my second laser procedure and found it a nuisance in bed at night as it tugged when I turned. I was always conscious of it during the day when walkingĀ Ā Ā Ā 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Greg,  I had to wear a Foley for a total time of three months. It was before the surgery and after the surgery for turp. I remember the Foley, would leak when the drainage would get plugged from tissue in the bladder.  It was a real pain wearing that thing!  I am glad that I am now self-cathing.  If you have a choice to self-catheter, I would highly suggest that you do.  I was very hesistant to self-cath, in the beginning.  I didn't think I had to nerve to insert something into my penis, but just after one try, I found it to be a lot  easier than I had thought.  Now I am very used to self-cathing, that I must be concious not to be too careless.  I don't want to run the risk, of an infection.  Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was suggesting suprapubic now and self cathing as a latter possiblity if catherization was still needed. BTW self catherization is also used as part of a longer term incontinence strategy.Ā 

Jim

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The less in your bladder, the lower the pressures, the less you leak. Self cathing is not the cure all for incontinence but is sometimes used as part of the package.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up