Severe perimenopause symptoms while my period is regular, is this possible?

Posted , 10 users are following.

hello! today I had a doctor appointment with a female gynecologist and she told me that because my period is regular and I am ovulating, i cannot be at my perimenopause. i am struggling for 10 months with a out of the blue shoulder pain, arm, elbow and fingers pain, swollen and painful breasts, mainly on my left part of my upper body, urinary problems, insomnia, thinning hair, weight gain. i did all kinds of tests for autoimune diseases, my inflammatory markers are good, i checked my breasts, all fine. i have joint pain which is terrible, burning skin sensation and a very high anxiety. she is still saying no way i am perimenopausal. is this true you have to have irregular periods?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Malina, I had your same symptoms and my periods are still regular. Hit me at 48 and started with shoulder pain while I struggled with it for many months not knowing why I was in so much pain there. Till I eventually collapsed from severe fatigue that set in and that's the first sign. I've read when it first starts abnormal fatigue sets in. It is perimenopause. My gyn told me because I hadn't been without periods for 12 months I could not be menopausal. It's b.s. My lab work came back fine. When the anxiety and depression hit my primary diagnosed me with just that and it was my hormones! It's happened to so many because they really don't know how to treat it. Never had anxiety before this or panic attacks or shoulder pain, or confusion, or muscle aches, carpal tunnel in my right arm. Supplements have helped like black cohosh, holy basil and Pro Estro for balancing hormones. CBD pills are helping me with my anxiety right now. Hang in there and this site is so amazing for information and support from so many caring women going through the same! Take Care...

• Edited

I have all those same symptoms and more since I was 41. I am 45 still have them and I still have a period and ovulation pain every month.Just because we have a period every month does not mean we are ovulating.Most women in their forties do not ovulate every month, but we still build up lining and it needs to come out so we get a period.Estrogen and Progestrone decline over time, but because our bodies are at the last phase to get pregnant we get surges. Our body is trying to get used to the decline in hormones, because a lot depends on these hormones. I don't get why doctors don't discuss this. They look more for pathology than biological.

• Edited

Hi Malina,

Yes, it's totally peri! And I am so glad that all of your other tests came back fine!

I am 53 and my period is still fairly regular. I have all of the symptoms you mention--hair thinning, burning skin pain, joint pains, sleep, spiraling, some times out of control, anxiety. I have had them since my mid 40's.

My GYN explained that most of our "good eggs," (his words!) were released during our teens, twenties and thirties. So while we are still ovulating in our 40's and 50's, the less than desirable genetic and hormonal qualities that make up these "later eggs" interact with the rest of the body cause many of our peri symptoms. Though we're still menstruating like champs.

That made sense to me. Because I am still getting my bleeping period like I was 15, but I feel like a midlife disaster.

It has taken me years, and I am still a work in progress, but I had to take a hard look at the other variables in my life that I could control. (Can't control the quality of the "not good eggs.")

What does your self care routine look like? Are you eating OK? Can you sleep? If not, can you work on sleep hygiene? What are your vitamin levels? Our hair thins in peri, but that can be exacerbated when our vitamins are out of whack--especially if you are also having GI issues.

We love you and are here for you! You are not alone.

• Posted

hello! thank you for you message, you are helping me a lot saying this. the pain is every day for almost 10 months and some days are unbearable. i am thinking i have lyme disease, but i don t remember the bite and i have did already three lyme disease tests. i was checked for all the autoimune diseases. all came ok, but i am in a inimaginable pain, it s like my muscles and tendons and ligaments don t relax anymore. my breasts are bigger and painful, no sleep, almost urinary incontinence, my burning palms, my armpits are tensed, my shoulders in fire. i want to start hrt, but my gp doesn t believe i need. help!

• Posted

My period is still regular but has gone from a week down to 2/3 days. The anxiety is horrific!, my family say I'm the healthiest sick woman the know because I've had every test going and it all comes back clear, but I'm always in pain. This past week it's my upper back and shoulder, the anxiety is so bad I've convinced myself it's Lung cancer, which leads to me not sleeping. Vicious circle especially when you feel like your doctor is not listening.

• Posted

thank you for response. i am in constant pain from July and I cannot anymore. hope we ll get better soon. i ll try using the cbd oil starting this weekend and i ll let you know if works.

• Edited

Hi Malina,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through such terrible times. I have gone through and am still going through the symptoms you have described and more. I still had fairly regular cycles when I got these symptoms and though I have had irregular cycles sometimes on HRT they have only been whacky sometimes.

I have burning skin on left side face, head and left arm and shocking pain in joints, elbow, fingers etc. I also have terrible bladder issues, severe pain and burning and pressure from frequency when there is nothing there, like a severe UTI but there is no infection. I have burning mouth syndrome. These are just a few of the unbelievable symptoms I have endured and women such as yourself. It has come to my attention that far too many Drs and Gynecologists who should know better by now, know very little of something so widespread and debilitating its shocking. There maybe others who are better at discussing natural products but i was too far gone and needed immediate action. I was put on HRT patches (this helped alleviate uncontrollable anxiety, the bladder issues and hot flushes) the Carbamazepine(an anti epileptic drug for alleviate the burning and pain) i also have duloxatine (an anti depressant which helps to alleviate pain) I take other medications for more issues thanks to Peri.

I do hope you find something that helps you. Ask about natural products if you can.

• Posted

hello shylee and thank you for your response. it helps me so much to hear that my physical symptoms could have a cause, nobody can tell me why or what s the problem with me. all my tests and my checks came back good, yet I am feeling so bad. i hope i ll be able to get better. i did today all kind of blood tests, including hormonal ones. i hope you re better and that symptoms are gone. my body is on fire, tensed and i feel i am having a permanent flu for months. my breasts are killing me now. best of luck and thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.