Severe period pain! Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,

I'm a sixteen year old female with severe menstrual cramping pretty much every month. My period honestly used to be amazing a couple of years ago - 3 days long with no pain at all - then suddenly one month i got the most unbearable backache and pain which actually caused me to faint on the school trip i was at due to the severity. After about a year of just coming home every time i had my period - which usually resulted in me lying on the floor waiting for my dad to pick me up - i finally went to the doctors and she recommended the pill to me. I was previously taking nurofen for the pain which kind of stopped helping as much as I believe I built up a tolerance to it. I have awful health anxiety due to my mum passing away at forty seven from heart complications and this of course transpired onto my period pain. Ive consulted Dr Google and all the results for the pill i was given are terrible - blood clots, acne, hair falling out, increased risk of multiple cancers- i just cant bring myself to take it. So this post is basically asking is there ANYTHING that has helped your period pains that isnt the pill? i really dont feelcomfortable taking it as I know ill be constantly worrying about the effects.

Thank you 😃

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I also have very bad pain on mine too. I suggest trying hot packs, hot tea, hot baths or showers. or, try all of them.

• Posted

There are some prescription tablets which are good for period pain you can ask your doctor for. One is called mefenamic acid it is supposed to lighten your periods as well. Another one is called naproxen, ask your doctor which one they think would be good for you.

Having had very serious side effects from the contraceptive pill myself, I would recommend you avoid it. One of the most common side effects from the contraceptive pill is depression and anxiety, as it sounds like you may be prone to this, I would steer clear!

If you keep getting terrible period pains, it may be the result of a health condition like endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome. Look up those illnesses and see if you have any of the symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.