Severe sound sensitivity after increasing dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had been on Citalopram 20 mg for 4 years, I have become significantly depressed and anxious over the last 8 months or so, so my doctor increased my dose to 30 mg starting 3 days ago. Since then I've experienced all the classic side effects like nausea, headache, loss of appetite, and drowsiness but I've also experienced an extremely heightened sense of sound. Like I feel like I can hear everything and its all so loud! All the different sounds give me anxiety. Has anyone else experienced this or something like it before? Please tell me I'm not alone!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elisa you hav systems like I had in my twenties, and I took me a long time to recover, but through experience, as I'm now 68 and still get a bit down, go back to doctors if your not satisfied.  I go out a lot now on my Bike and walk a lot in fresh air, it is great healer the outdoors, but the way you are feeling not on your own, all I can say is fight it and try to think positive.

Good Luck

• Posted

Yes I have this and tinnitus. Very annoying!! Mine calmed down after a while then came back when I upped my dose to 20mg. Hopefully it will calm down for you.
  • Posted

It's wonderful to know I'm not alone in this seemingly bizarre side effect! Thank you so much for the support. This situation is tough to say the least, I'm glad I found this site. We will get through it together. 
    • Posted

Most side effects calm down in time. I'm hoping for the same thing.
  • Posted

Hi Elisa, I experienced a buzzing sound or heighten hearing sensitivity and think its anxiety? but not many people have had a similar feeling, does your hearing feel like your brain is sparkling away? It does say Citalopram can cause this so I wouldnt be too concerned wink when things are changing and we aint used to em we get anxious naturally and worse when we suffer from anxiety,athough rest assure its all part of the deal you will be fine give Citalopram a good shot too it will take a good few months not weeks before thing properly begin to balance smile take care and keep us posted on how things are goin!   
    • Posted

Thanks for the support! The intensity of noise starts about four hours after I take the meds, and ends about two hours after that. It's bizarre what I can hear! And yes, we tend to be afraid of the unknown and hearing a car drive by across the street is definitely a previously unknown thing to me! lol I'm hanging in there... I know this will subside eventually. I am at a place where I will do anything to get better so all the side effects are worth it. Thanks again for your support. smile
    • Posted

As far as brain sparkling, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I know I have super rapid thoughts during those two hours too. It's like my mind is uncontrollably racing compiled with the noise and it's all around a poopy situation. Has the brain sparkling subsided for you yet?
    • Posted

hey yeah its more like a sparkling sound I think its the brain being a little tired or maybe stress causing neavous system to do that and on top of that the ringing typesound could be in there from ciatlopram as I say its not something that stoips me sleeping or anything so not a high concern just curious what and if anyone else gets that??? Great you are getting better imagine how great you will feel in months to come smile
    • Posted

Omg I hope I get better... I'm still not sure I will but I guess we will see. I heard the ringing and popping are a result of tinnitus which I didn't know existed until this site and apparently it's quite common on citalopram. Have you looked up tinnitus?
    • Posted

Yeah I did and because I play in a rock band kinda thought maybe it was because of the soud but it never gets worse and yeah I dont know its not like the end of the world really? You will get better and just when some poeple find takes longer than others some even quicker the main thing is being positive seeing thru the darkness and knowing you'll be ok how long have you been on citalopram for ? I'm about 12-13 weeks and side effects I think have almost gone and feel normal again no anxiety no depression sex drive is low and feels weird like being on a stronger drug during sex but thats better than where I was anxiety wise!!! 
    • Posted

I have been on 20 mg for four years, went up to 30 mg as per my doctor about a week ago. 30 mg feels like a whole new ball game. New side effects and I feel overall just medicated. Libido is nearly gone. Exercise is the only thing that keeps my libido at a half decent level but I'm too tired to do it. Hopefully as the months wear on my energy will increase and so will everything else. I'm very happy to hear you are feeling that much better! Makes me hopeful. Low libido is definitely more favourable than feeling awful all the time. Cheers to you for feeling better. smile
    • Posted

Side effects are only tempopary I promise you'll be ok ! brain has to adjust to increaded dosage and the brain gets a paradox effect from improved serontonin in almost every case.

Libido will improve wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.