Severe Stomach Pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does ayone on here take Co-codamol, and if so does it give you really bad stomach pains? 

I have been taking this drug for some years now, and today; as I have had a really bad flare and  have taken only 4 during the course of the day and had severe stomach pains. I have had no other pain relief.

Just wondering what other peopes views are please. Regards  Anne..

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The codeine in it can cause constipation especially if it is a higher strength
    • Posted

Hi arual...That's nice. They are 500mg. The pain I have had today has been dreadful, never experienced it before.
  • Posted

If you've had little or nothing to eat co-codamol can be harsh on your stomach,especially the stronger 30/500mg ones (slpadol/zapain). Also with IBS a very common thing with fibro it can be aggravated by co-codamol. A lot of people suffer intolerance to them so I would contact your pharmacist (i am a dispenser in a pharmacy and they can be a great source of info without having to get a doctors appointment). Or if you have a good Gp you could contact them, but I defo wouldn't take any more if you feel that they are affecting you adversely.

And if your symptoms get worse suddenly make sure you seek medical advice sooner rather than later even if it's just to put your mind at rest. Good luck and hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Victoria thanks for your reply. My GP is useless, he was fine years ago but now seems to have lost interest in me I think. Pharmacists are deffinatly more helpful. Last time I collected my meds she came to me and asked why were I taking a particular medicine with one other that I were on. She said side effects with these both together were dangerousexclaim This scared me, so I refused there and then to take the one tablet the doc perscribed. I always ask the GP when given new meds do they work ok with the rest I am on, and he said yes no problems. So now I have no faith in the dr, and just listen to the pharmacist. No, I am not touching them again as this is not the first time is happened. I am moving home in 4 weeks, and hopefully will get a more caring helpful doctor..Fingers crossed..Thanks for your time...Annebiggrin
    • Posted

Hi Anne, yes pharmacists can be great sources of info on medication combinations and scarily usually know more than Gps! I feel the same about my Gp-I moved surgeries a while ago as my old one just didn't care less and didn't even bother hiding the fact very well.

The final straw came when the doctor refused to do me prescription I was due for morphine and left me without for a weekend-not good as I was on 160mg a day!) I spent the weekend vomiting with chronic stomach cramps,sweats and unbelievable pain. They eventually admitted that they'd made a mistake and I wasn't a junkie-just taking what they'd prescribed me.

I hope that you get sorted and they can perhaps find you something that suits you better Anne. Good luck x

• Posted

Hello Anne,

I would not begin to speculate or give medical advice on such a sensitive subject 

of your stomach.I think you should be calling your PCP for an office visit.

You could have a flare up of Diverticulisis,or any other stomach upset.And

added to that it could be something you have digested that does not agree with you.

I would stop aspirin products and see a doctor.What do I know.Nothing,just suggesting.

• Posted

Hi Elaine thanks for your reply.I will not touch it again ,I am waiting to move home in 4 weeks and a new doctor. Hopefully more caring than the one I have now. Regards..Anne..
  • Posted

Hi anna,

I used to take co-codamol and it used to give me bad stomach pains and bad constipation i don't look at them anymore, the drugs you are taking are never meant for long term use, once max does has been reached discuss with gp for a new program of pain releaf remember you are in charge of your health not your gp, I have now came to a happy medium with medication after years of trial and error, you will have to experiment and find whats best for you. I now only take tramadol and paracetomol and only when required for pain.

best wishes james

• Posted

Thank you James yes I agree with you.Its our bodies after all. Its just this Fibro pain when having a flare what else do we do but reach for pain relief. Its not the first time its happened, but I will no longer use them just a hot water bottle..Regards..Anne..biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.