Severe symptoms 1-2 times a year

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am desperate for some help and just don't know where to turn.  I had been diagnosed with IBS around 2009 but, a couple of years ago, after a colonoscopy the consultant told me I had diverticular disease.

Once a year, usually around March-April (go figure) for at least 5 years I have suffered with an instensely bad 'bout' - severe vomitting, diarrhoea, weakness to the point of passing out, followed by bleeding.  The bleeding has got progressively worse each bout I experience - it was originally pink and didn't start until a couple of days in.  Now it appears almost instantly. And I'm currently in the middle of experiencing a 2nd bout this year.  They are terrifying as the pain, passing out, bleeding - all when on your own - is extremely hard to cope with.  And oddly I know when it's going to happen - my mouth goes sort of numb.  This isn't gastric fluids as I've watched out for that - I really can't explain why that happens.  But 30 minutes after I notice the sensation, the 'bout' offiicially starts.  This time I got myself upstairs ready for it to start.

I really need some advice how to cope with this and whether I should push for further action from my doctor/consultant.

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Go immediately and don't be fobbed off.  If you have to see your GP (and you do because he's the one who has to make the referral) INSIST that he makes that referral.

I have suffered for 30 years from DD and I know how you feel and, by now, how to handle (a) the situation and (b) GP who try to fob you off with things like 'millions of others suffer'  You are not interested in the millions of others - your health and its attendant worries are paramount  Jacqueline and me are the 'originators of this forum.  Take note and good luck.  Jon

• Posted

Hi Jon. Looks as though the battle is on again  We are going to have 

to start a BIG Forum for getting us some attention. How about a shot at 

the TV progamme  or maybe  the Prime Minister should be dragged in.

Jac

• Posted

Jonno - thanks for the advice.  My doc is making the referral as we hoped.  I told her I wasn't looking for a cure - but I was looking for advice on what I can ignore and what I can't.

I caught a snippet on another thread where you'd made a few wind-related comments which, I have to admit, made me giggle.  It was much needed today, and I thank you for that smile

• Posted

OH DEAR JON,, you let me down big time yesterday, I was in bed .with a 

shed load of pain needing a distraction, and thought of the happy

banter we had on the Diners.  I felt sure you would respond to the TV

P.M. starter,  but NO.  I suppose you are flare free at the moment, and have better things to do, than keep me  company   Have you lost your sense of fun.,and just farting your  merry way around LIDL's ??cheesygrin cheesygrin

I don't care ,I will just wallow here, all alone and uncared forcry

Feeling  bits better today Jon, thank you for asking.

Tee Hee Hee, ,enjoyed this . Jacfrown

• Posted

Watcher Jacquiline01135  I am so sorry.   Had I known I would have.... what?  I'm not a bloody doctor but then, we know, they have proved themselves to be as useless as I would be.  The difference is that I am interested and those I've met are not.  We do keep harping on about this lack of understanding/support but we are very inactive in doing anything to raise awareness to our plight. Maybe we should petition the Chief Medical Officer.  Is there an Ombudsman for the Health Service?.  I don't think petitioning Cameron would do much good. Although, he's a pain - and crap so possibly he might just give an ear (at least by giving an ear he would hear the farting!).  I have been reasonably 'flare-up free for a few day.  Still aching in the gut and still feeling sore from evacuating (what  a lovely euphamism).  To add to the misery, I now have a pile which I plaster with Sudocreme.  One only farts in the 'better' stores.  Waitrose (which doesn't attract too many customer because of their prices) is a good farting arena.  Lidl (incidentally  pronounced Leedul)(Ich speche sehr gut Deutsch - ich wohnt im Deutschland drei jahre) is usually full; no tills open and not the best farting zone.

Get well. Get up and lets think about our next move.

• Posted

Hey. where has the Jacqueline0 come from .?? Keep up Jon .All the Posh

are getting their nosh  from the Brothers Lidl and Aldi/ You will probably 

be coasting thr aisles of Waitrose on your own (knew that would rev you up)biggrin

I was only joking ,but you with your connections !!!! could probably get us

on Breakfast T.V or Crimewatch . From little acorns  etc. 

I did get the chance to ask a doctor ( phone line ,no visuals ) why the

antibiotics that were given by drip could not be accessed  and so save

us ,the sufferers, do not have to play Russian Roulette with tabs, until 

one is found that we can tolerate   "Not possible "  as it would pbobably

be such a cocktail of drugs

Glad you only have a diddy pain,  

• Posted

Piles are caused by candida. So you an put that right. Putting cream on it is just papering over the cracks and you still have the actual problem.
    • Posted

Yes, it's where we shop.  I told you that I fated all the way around Waitrose and, as a result, I am banned.  Good job. We shopped in Lidl/Aldi/Gigantmarkt when living in Germany and do still in UK.  Sometimes Sainsburys bur NEVER Tesco (remeber Shirley Porter?).

As ex Dips and Cons and DOE I have some sort of 'in' although, having written to Cameron on the question of dogs (re-introduction of licensing - savaging people etc) got promises but no action.

Will try Miniter (who know, Health is a big issue at the moment with pending elections) or, independently NHS Englan for a start.  No doubt I can count on your support. (not a truss!). I have discarded all tablets save for Co-Codamol and feel much better. Nothing worked. Drs. are ante anti-biotivs (which had limited effect anyway).  Intraveneous best bet.  jon  (Poor old Sunbite.  I would go with her to see her consultant/GP if I could.  I'm good at sounding off)

• Posted

Sounding off , Ripping off. Letting off  seems to be your forte in life

I was very pleased when  the  "Brothers" arrived in Southern Ireland whilst

I lived there. The shelves were striped as soon as the doors opened

Have to say that in spite of the fact that I slag Paracetamol off ,it has helped a lot . I used to use Co Proximol.until it was removed , because

one or two pillocks alegedly overdosed on it

Sunbite (extrordinary handle ) needs lots of help just hope she keeps

coming back for help.

• Posted

Had to come in on this one Jon, Paint brush at the ready ???? 

Size of paint brush has to be verified  cool

• Posted

Still here - thanks everyone smile  And would you believe I chose this name after the crisps lol.  Many of my IDs are food related I've just realised!  That doesn't bode well lol.

A step closer - I got the referral number from BUPA.  Only problem is they've warned me because the disease is chronic so they won't cover any routine visits or check-ups.  I'll ring and make the appointment later.  I'll keep you posted. 

• Posted

Keep going,,  -----Bupa backing off ..!!  typical.

I'm going to call you CRISPY  lol   O.K.??????

• Posted

Then ignore BUPA and insist on seeing an NHS practitioner.  I hate the rise and rise of these money orientated businesses.

I had private medical insurance when I was with the Dips & Consular Svce. Twice I had Harley Street surgery for a hernia repair. The fist time I was hositalised for 10 days due to a blood infection post operation. The second I spent a further week cathaterised with yet another infection. I was posted; retired (prematurely) and registered with a new GP.  He said you need to have your hernia repaired.  I went to my local (Salisbury) NHS hospital (Day surgery) at mid-day and was home again by 6pm. 14 years ago - and no problems since. What does that tell you?  My wife's R.A. is chronic.  She receives excellent treatment at the NHS Mineral Hospital, Bath - centre of excellence for such conditions.  I can only assume you use BUPA because it is a Company Scheme.Is that so, Crispy?

• Posted

Iv'e never heard of Sunbite.  Come to that Iv'e never heard (as you know, Jac) of 'upt' North.

Crispy indeed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.