Shaking head in public situations only...

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is something I have suffered from for a number of years now. However, it only seems to 'attack' at what seems random times. 

I've just come back from the fish & chip shop where I had walk out because it just got too much. It's really starting to frustrate me.

I sit down and everything is fine for a few minutes, then all of a sudden I can feel my head going like one of those bobbing head figures - the only difference being it feels like my head is going from side to side, not up and down.

I end up slouching over and trying to hold my head up with my hand, which sometimes works, although, on this occasion seemed to make it even worse. The more I tried to prevent it, changing my posture etc, the worse it was getting...

It was quite busy in the shop. There were a few people standing up facing in my direction and standing over me, which is something I really don't like. I don't know where to look and it jst goes completely out of control. 

I was sat there and I could feel it getting more and more intense. There were thoughts running through my head that everyone must be noticing it, which was also feeding it. 

I've tried my best to tell myself that I'm being silly and convince myself that no one cares or is looking, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm positive it's in my head, because i'm sat here at home by myself in the same position I was in the chip shop, and I'm not getting any of those symptoms, so it has to be psychological? 

I have a job interview next Monday and it is so important that I don't mess it up with this silly head shaking, I know they won't take me seriously otherwise. 

Is there any medication I can take to prevent this? I've tried Propanalol, but it doesn't seem to work.  

Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rayjay, I am sorry your suffering with this problem. I have never experienced this myself so cannot say what it is, but has you say your okay in home. Have you spoken to your GP to see if it's anything physicalto rule out first. It could be anxiety especially when your around other people. Your GP won't think your stupid so make a trip to see them. 
  • Posted

meant physical to see .....
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I have mentioned this to my GP a few times now, however apart from prescribing the Propanalol there's not a lot else they've reccomended. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.