Shall I ask my doc to increase to 40mg?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok so I've tried citalopram twice in the past and felt better after a few months so I've stopped taking them however I now want to stay on medication longer until I sort myself out as I feel like my life's all over the place. I stopped taking cit before Xmas weaned down from 20 to 10. Started the cit again end of April - 4 weeks at 10mg and now 3 weeks at 20mg. I still feel awful! Feel like I've lost my mind and can't think straight, very bad social anxiety, relentless thinking. I'm only happy when it's time to sleep cos I just don't wanna do anything. On the brink of quitting my job after being off for 3 weeks. I just want to feel myself again, instead of being so confused about everything. Will the increase likely help me or hinder? I don't know whether its cos I was on it before Xmas maybe I need a stronger dose now. I'm very reluctant to change meds and I definately don't wanna get any worse. Please help

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Stick with it! It takes time to kick in. We are told time and time again not to stop without doctors supervision nut we still do. 😜🙄💓.

Don't quit your job. You are not thinking straight at the moment. Give yourself time to get better....of course you need to consult with your doctor so you have a medical sick note etc.

lots of love

x💞

• Posted

I don't wanna stop I just wanted to know if I should increase the dose as it's been 7 weeks now! So inpatient! I have a docs appointment Monday but I don't think she'll give me another note. She thinks it's better to be working and I think I agree but it's hard!
  • Posted

I dont think work is the place for u just now tbh if ur struggling to think straight ect and on the verge of packing it in coz ur not right just now i think if ur doc signs u back just now he or she is really incompetent. If you feel u would like to try an increase then i think 7 weeks is an ok place to try it. Obvs consult woth ur gp good luck on monday
    • Posted

I do feel like I want more time off but then again I'm also not sure if being off work is making me worse because I'm dwelling on the anxiety. I definitely feel worse this week after trying to go back though. A month tops would be good I think to really give the meds a chance to kick in and get myself straightened out. Thanks for your help.
  • Posted

Increase to 30mg and ride the storm then the cit will start to work.
  • Posted

It will take time for your body to adjust to the meds.  Don't increase too soon - a larger dose won't necessarily stop the agony and doesn't make recovery any quicker - waiting is the only way.  If 20mg was the dose you recovered on before, then it'll work again this time.

3 weeks at 20mg?  You will feel rough for a little while yet, but try and go with all the feelings, they will ease in time.  Life's problems always feel 10 times worse when you're suffering with anxiety and depression.  When you start feeling well again, you'll be able to cope much more.

Recovery is a waiting game.  Yo feel better when you sleep?  That's because the body is relaxed.  Try taking life at a slower pace.  Eat well, take a daily walk if you can (exercise is good) - in time the meds will kick in and you'll start feeling well again.

Dont rush through doses though.  It'll make you feel worse.

K x

• Posted

I hear Increasing make you worse I'm on week 10 I think 20mg feel great
  • Posted

NO ...talk to someone about what is bugging you...don't go to 40 - starts to affect your heart beat and rhythm

• Posted

Hanhoo, Listen to Katecogs, she is very well informed. You are only 3 weeks on 20 mg, you are still adjusting to the meds, no matter if you have been on them before.  Your anxiety and depression is on overdrive right now, you need to slow down, you don’t want to do something you will be sorry for.  I would not quit my job just yet.  It may, or may not be your source of your stressor, but try to wait until you can think clearly.  And I completely agree...don’t rush through the doses...go up so fast...it will make you feel a lot worse!  You need to slow down, breath, like Katecogs said, “go for walks,” do something, anything to get your mind off of things if you can.  Call a friend, visit a friend, or family, play some soothing music, read a book.  Take a step back, talk to your doctor, see if he can help you out with some more time off work.  Wait until the meds have a chance to work.  You have another few weeks to reach 6 weeks, and you should start feeling better.  See how you are doing then, then re-examine how things are.  Slow down...we are here for you in the mean time!!  Good Luck!
  • Posted

Just an update on things. I went doctors yesterday and I sort of decided to change to sertraline/zoloft 50mg the doctor basically left the decision to me, I don't know what's best but I've read this one has less side effects and also for social anxiety which I'm sure I suffer from. She didn't sign me off as she thinks I should keep busy which is true but I also don't see how I can face a retail job at the moment so I don't know what I'm gonna do. It's hard cos I feel like I get moments of clarity at night and then the next day I'm back to confusion
    • Posted

Good luck to you hanhoo!  Give the new meds a chance to work, and stay in touch with your doctor, and us.  Keep us posted and let us know how things go!  We are here for you if you need to talk either way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.