Shallow breathing and sore airways and lungs, as well as heart palpitations.... help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm in my early 40's, and apart from very mild asthma occasionally when I have a chest infection (not a regular occurrence), I don't use inhalers or have issues. 

Ever since a visit to my parent's place at Christmas, my breathing has been slightly tight, although it's not been a real issue, and I've not needed to take anything for it. 

Around a month ago, my breathing became noticeably shallow, along with some lung/airway discomfort. It's continued, and I've had spirography tests, which suggest my breathing is within the parameters of 'normal'. 

Interestingly, when they tested the blue Ventolin inhaler on me, it had negligible effect, which is worrying. 

The doctor has given me a brown preventer inhaler, which only seems to be making my airway soreness worse, and possibly breathing more shallow. I have a chest scan booked for a week's time.

However, I'm concerned that my breathing is steadily becoming worse. I have to walk more slowly and puff when i talk. Not ideal - I'm a teacher. 

I also worry that the brown steroid inhaler is making things worse - the fact the spirography tests suggested the Ventolin inhaler wasn't having an impact is a concern to me. 

Any suggestions of what else may be causing this pain, shallow breath and heart palpitations? I've looked up pneumonia, but it doesn't seem to fit - I don't have any 'wheezing' and I'm not coughing up any phlegm.

Any advice appreciated - it's affecting my quality of life, and the doctor seems utterly useless! 

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.