Sharing TKR experience and flexion goals.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been so encouraged and blessed as I read the postings from others who are going through TKR recovery.  I am 6 weeks post and I must say that even though I thought I had read plenty and was well prepared, now I know I don't believe I knew how I would feel.  I am certainly looking forward to feeling much better than I did with the arthritis in the right knee, but that surely isn't happening

yet.

I am frustrated today as I caught myself when I slipped on a step and bent my operative knee somewhat ackwardly, causing what feels like a pulled muscle across the knee.  I still went to my therapy session but spent most of the day laying down and icing off and on.  

The surgeon set a goal of 110 flexion by the end of 4 weeks, at the latest the end of 6 weeks.  I have been struggling with this and reached 104 at one point a week or so ago but with a great deal of pain.  He wants to stretch the muscles with some machine to get me to the 110, yet the therapist seems to think with continued work I will get there.  I do my exercises 2-3 times a day including the 2 weekly therapy appointments so I am not a slacker on trying to improve my ROM.

I am wondering what others have experienced with this?  I am pretty discouraged.  When I try to do more I hurt myself.  Of course today isn't good since I pulled that knee.  I am continuing pain meds as I still need them including oxycodene, Tylenol, and naproxen.

I have not returned to work yet.  The surgeon said that most return 8-10 weeks post, many starting back part time at first.  I guess my return will depend on the ROM I reach and whether I can handle the pain without the narcotic.  I have tried but I am unable to sleep due to the pain so I am not ready yet.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I am three weeks po tomorrow, and I am also blessed by finding this site. First week and a half were pure hell, I was so depressed with the pain the lack of sleep the lack of improvement. I blamed myself for not taking the meds when I was supposed to, so I played catch up. Forward to week three I am at 94 degrees and 5 degrees to straight. I have some good days and bad, tonight it hurts as I had pt today, I also go twice a week and do exercises 3 times a day,

The folks on this forum have been amazing the encouragement they give is a life saver.I can not say that enough. I am still using a walker should be off this week and go to a cane.

Sleeping is getting a tad better but still up every 4 hours or so. Ice is best friend.

So good luck take care,

Thanks

Tom

• Posted

Carol I switched pt person at 6 weeks. He was a crank and jam person. I would leave there in tears. My new pt doesn't focus totally on rom. That will come he said. He is working on strengthening my quad and hamstring right now. Yes he measures me but it's not the most important thing. He stretches and massages my knee. He doesn't believe in cranking and jamming. I think if we get focused on a number it starts affecting us. Now my dr told me she wants me at 120 by my next appointment which is 6/16. To me that's pressure. I'm at 108 now. Bob says we will get there. Hope so. Good luck. Sounds like you are doing well.
  • Posted

Hi Carol!

So sorry to hear you hurt your knee! It doesn't take much to make a tender surgical area feel oh so bad!

Your surgeon is pretty optimistic! I bet he has not endured the surgery YOU have endured! Go at the pace that works for YOU.

You mentioned Oxycodone. You MAY find that over-the -counter medication like Ibuprofen works better for pain and also helps you feel less out-of-the-box- and hazy. I felt A LOT better eliminating narcotics after two weeks because they made me feel like my body and brain were disconnected. My balance got better, too, and I didn't feel dizzy or floaty like I did with the narcotic.

Take care! Let us know how things go for you!

• Posted

Don't focus on the numbers. It will get better and mine took a lot longer than 3-4 months. It's only about 110 now after 18 months. My new one, almost 4 wks po is getting there slowly, like 80 or something. Just keep at it. As long as I'm out of pain and can walk, I don't care if I can kneel or sit on my feet. Bigger things to bother with. My sleep is getting better, only on iburophene now. Narcs are gonerolleyes I was feeling so terrible with them. I had a good kind of brutal stretching physio today. Tomorrow I'm getting MLD, that manual lymphatic drainage to get the swelling and fluids moving. Check it out. It works wonderful. Be careful with that injury. You're doing the best thing, ice and rest. I hope you feel better tomorrow. Rem, tomorrow is a new day. Good night all,, 2342  here in Nova Scotia. 
    • Posted

Thank you, Anne, for the encouraging words. I am so glad to be able to "talk" with others who understand. I am feeling a bit better today, and will hopefully continue to be positive about this whole experience. Have a restful evening. By the way, it is interesting to see where participants are located. I am from Ohio in th US.

Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I am 6 weeks PO. I had my first re-visit with my surgeon yesterday, he was happy with everything my flexion was just better than 90. He was very happy with this, told me just keep exercising and it will come, particularly as the swelling eases and the implant fully settles. This man has a super reputation and I trust his opinion big time.

I also attend a group physio and a one-to-one physio, both tell me just steady as it goes and it will come.

Best wishes and Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Thank you so much Alan!  I appreciate your response. I am going to continue working towards the goal but not be so hard on myself.  I understand from all that I am reading from others that this is a slow process and pretty much differs from each individual. Have a good night!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.