Sharp pains behind the belly button

Posted , 3 users are following.

My stomach has been achy and hard for a day or two now, and once in a while I'll get a sharp pain right behind the belly button. My immediate thought is trapped gas, but my anxiety says appendicitis. I know IBS pain moves around but is it normal for it to happen there?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I used to get burning searing pains along my waist to the right of my belly button.  My Gastroenterologist told me I was eating too many tomatoes, which I do.......I slowed down on them and it went away.  But it did hurt.  Now, I have no idea what you are dealing with  and you should have that checked for sure just in case.  I also thought that most of the pain of appendicitis was on the right lower side of the abdomen, I don't know. 

• Posted

Sounds more like IBS when you take into account all the other symptoms you have posted about previously.  All your tests for more serious things have been negative thus far.  I think your appendix would have been one of the first things that your doctor would have considered and ruled out at the start.  I panicked about a grumbling appendix too. As you said, it is your anxiety that is focusing on your appendix, so don't listem to what your anxiety is telling you. Rather, concentrate on what your final tests tell you. They will give you a more accurate picture of what is actually going on whereas your mind will only tell you what might be the cause which is not necessarily accurate.

• Posted

I forgot to add that IBS focuses on all areas of your abdomen including the area you are mentioning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.