Sharp, stabbing, groin pain 9 weeks post surgery- signed off by consultant

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my surgery on 31st August- anterior and posterior prolapse repair.  Generally speaking my recovery was fine, my surgeon was really happy with my repair at 6 week post check and has signed me off.  I do have a referral to a women's physio, because I am a runner to ensure I am doing the correct pelvic floor exercises.  

I returned to work last week, I am part time in an office job.  For a few days, perhaps week now I've been having sharp stabbing pains in my right groin. Like slightly more painful ovulation pains.  It definitely isn't ovulation as I have just had my period, and these pains happened during then as well.  

Could it be linked?  Any ideas?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

I had the same op 6 week ago and I have had the same sort of pain. Because I had issues with my stitching I mentioned the pain to my consultant and she said the rectum, bladder etc needs time to heal and adjust and there would be pain here and there. She said if it was persistent to get it checked out but otherwise it was probably ok. 

Did they give you a timeframe for running again? I read on online that you couldn’t run after this surgery and I was devastated as I have always run and was due to do a half in March. Do you mind me asking what advice they gave you around returning to run? 

• Posted

Originally they said 12 wee, but at my 6 week check my doctor said it was fine. The proviso was doing my pelvic floor exercises properly.

She's never said I couldn't run at all. Nor sure I could cope with that!

• Posted

No me either, it’s as much mental as physical for me and my way of de -stressing . I feel so much better that you have mentioned that . My stitching hasn’t healed yet 6 weeks on and when I walk loadsi get back pain and pelvic pain but plan to keep walking until I can start running again. How much of the pelvic floor exercises do you do daily? Was it just the general kegal excerises  that you were asked to do ? 
    • Posted

I haven't had physio yet, not actually been shown any exercises. So I just do a few squeezes when I remember. But hopefully after physio I will know exactly what I'm doing.

• Posted

I was told it was pelvic floor spasms. I thought he was full of it but they have went away. I had surgery in June, it too a long time to stop hurting and I still have times when I feel pressure and pulling but I'm not in pain anymore.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with pelvic floor spasms at my 6 week post op visit.. I am at eight weeks postop and they are still ridiculously painful.  Sharp pains cause me to cringe out loud in public scaring people! What did you do to get rid of the spasms? I was given vaginal Valium and sit on heat but it’s not helping. Walking and sitting are still painful. How long before the spasms went away after surgery?
    • Posted

I sat on heating pads and surprisingly pelvic floor exercises helped stop the spasms. I was told hot baths work but I'm not a bath person so I'm not sure. The spasms were really bad for about 3 weeks and then they got better. Had fewer and not as often, I can't remember how long they lasted but it got where it only happened when I exerted myself. Hope you find something that helps, it's horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.