She has now left....

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi people, i feel a bit sad and tossed to the lions,my dietitian that i have seen for ages announced she was leaving yesterday,something about alterations to the service, no individual appointments and being coeliac means i don't need a dietitian any more. is she right and what do i do if i am stuck? it's not just the service that's vital to me but the PERSON. help, where do i go from here? will i be set adrift by this group too?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Google coeliac charities or coeliac forum and I am sure you can find some people to chat to online in a similar situation who may be able to help you or give you some information you need. Good luck.

• Posted

Are there no other dieticians working in the same office as the lady you were seeing that can help you? Perhaps ask your doctor to recommend another dietician. There will be others.

• Posted

Our named doctor who we really liked and trusted left our Practice. However, his replacement is just as good. You may be able to get another dietician as good as the one you had.

• Posted

Hi Sam, a sudden bad surprise, can relate to how you feel & my gut can too 😦 It's an emotional issue because, for me, understanding & re-assurance affects IBS and you build a relationship over time.My Gastroenterologist changed and it took me a while to relate my current one.If you are coeliac and/or IBS would think you could still access services but,depends on system,I guess.Sounds like there may be cutbacks??Like suggestions below, if your doctor is understanding. maybe, could recommend another dietician or relevant support person?In this group, it seems like people support one another and it is great to read about others who may have similar symptoms and gain knowledge and re-assurance,am sure that will continue for you.At the moment I am feeling down because my gut is reacting-probably emotional time, when this happens we can tend to feel panicky etc. this news for you could make you feel this way - I find trying to relax,garden ,talking to my cat helps (you always get a nonjudgemental answer ),maybe you could step back,look at your options ,get more info.Take care

• Posted

hi everyone, thanks for your support. it:s getting hold of a dietitian which is tough, my dietitian had a personal touch which made all the difference. i am sure i can get support but turned down a generic dietitian over seeing my own dietitian. it's the person that matters to me, not the service. i could have joined a group or seeing someone else. this is tough as it's a boundary change.

• Posted

Even though i have celiac , i think having a dietitian is good. Lots of doctors just say gluten free and turn us loose. However, lots of people with celiac can benefit from a dietitian because we still need proper foods with supporting vitamins , plus a lot of people with celiac often gain weight because of increased consumption of snacks that are calorie loaded in an effort to make up from a restricted gluten free diet. When you think about it, athletes often have their own dietitian and they don't even have an illness so i think you would still benefit from one. I hope you're able to find one that works for you

• Posted

hi jeremy, thanks for your advice, i feel my dietitian knew what she was doing. she has coeliac disease and knew how tough it was to get the balance right. i also am vegetarian and in the end it became about adding more fibre really, to stop the constipation. fodmap was clearly not going to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.