She's right I have been blind

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi people, is there ever a point that something someone says hits you so hard you think 'why have i been so blind all these years?'. is unhappiness linked with depression and money and lack of worth? will working stop me feeling so bad?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

everyone needs a sense of purpose in this life. Without it, depression can creep in easily , Sometimes without us even being aware of it. having a job, feeling good about yourself because you’re productive is linked with feeling happier. unhappiness, money issues, and lack of worth can definitely lead to depression.

• Posted

hi jan, it's something someone has said. when your oldest friend tells you how good it feels to work you realise how many years you have wasted not doing so. i didn't ask to get ill though and no it's not just mental health. my physical health is poor and it's working out how i raise their to feel better. i need to be well to have the stamina to work. i have tried to work at what i used to do but my heart is not in it. i was sort of ok not working but now i don't feel like that and it's only what this friend's words that have made me feel very negative. but she can work and she doesn't have health problems. i do. i don't know how i change my poor health so i can work again.

• Posted

I understand. I didn’t work all the years that I was raising my kids and once they were grown and gone, I ended up getting a divorce and felt completely lost! I lost a sense of purpose. And it doesn’t feel good at all.

now I wish I had a job I could go to and feel confident. But my lifelong anxiety has held me way back.

Have you had a check up with your doctor in the recent past? Is your poor health something you have discussed with the doctor? I was just wondering if there’s anything that would improve your health which would be a good first step.

• Edited

hi jan, i find some days i struggle more than others. i am desperate to go and work but no longer in a school! i don't have children because of circumstances i can't comprehend let alone anyone else, that have lead to have PTSD. my health will heal, i was told i had ibs but no i don't i am in fact now correctly diagnosed coeliac. i can go back to work but every time i try something else drags me backwards. i am sure you'd be excellent supporting people with anxiety as you have 1st hand experience of it. i have been in touch with a college and discovered just today a different career path that will tap some skills i have never totally untapped before. i want to work with people and am going to speak to someone about this tomorrow. i know i am old to change career but i feel it is right. i am speaking to my doctor about my health and work if i can get in next week. i am doing this for me. nobody else just me.

• Posted

you’re never too old to change a career especially if that career is in a line with your skills! That’s great! I’m happy you are going to speak to your doctor. You are absolutely right. Do it for yourself and nobody else. sounds like you are on the path to a great future! Take one day at a time and never give up your dream. Any little bumps in the road can be smoothed out. ❤.

• Posted

hi jan, thanks for contacting back. i am fighting for this because i need to just to make me feel human again. good luck with whatever you decide to do too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.