Shelf life of Clob

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just looked at my tube of Clob which I've been using for 6 months and read "discard after 3 months once opened"

Just a word of warning. I assumed that because it was a huge tube it would last - will be ringing my doctor later!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for that advice I'm off to check mine. Why do they prescribe large tubes when you are supposed to be sparing with it and it goes out of date so quickly !
  • Posted

Wow,  My Doctor told me I would only be prescribed 60mg a year in two 30mg tubes.  I will be talking to her.  I had not noticed this before.  Mine says the same on recent tube.  My GP cannot be aware of this.
  • Posted

My tube doesn't say that or anything about it. There's just the sell by date along the bottom seal which has over a year to go.
  • Posted

I asked my gyn about this at the last visit and he said that medications can lose a small amount of potency after being opened for certain time,hence the warning.  However, he also said that he personally woulnd't be worried but would finish off the tube - its unlikely to make a huge difference. Drug companies want to sell you more of their products!
  • Posted

Ok, update. I've just collected my tube of Dermovate from the pharmacy, got it home and read all the small print. It just said use before the 'best before date' which was in 2017! I rang the pharmacist to query it (the first tube was a generic - not Dermovate) and she said different manufacturers have different rules and, though it was confusing, I should follow each manufacturer's guidelines with confidence as they would be protecting themselves and wouldn't advise any use that wasn't 100% OK.

So all I can say is to make sure you read the small print all the time...

• Posted

Thank you.  As if we don't have enough to worry about.  Still good to know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.