Shin Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I exercise and take my bend to its maximum, when I try to take it past that point I get aching pains in my shin. They aren't there when I release.

Does anyone else get this pain?

Caz - 10 weeks post TKR Australia

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caz, yes I have been having a real problem with shin pain, but it comes after ( rather than during) exercise and at random times. It will come while I'm driving at times and is very painful. I don't know what is "normal" anymore or whether it's something worth talking to the surgeon about. 

I'm hoping to see him next month for my groin pain, and will talk to him about the shin pain too.

Betty - 19 weeks  - U.S.

• Posted

Hi Betty, Thankyou for answering. I know what you mean about not knowing what is normal anymore. I used to get it at night and drink tonic water before bed to stop that. This pain is more of an ache, kind of pressure, only when I bend my knee as far as I can.

im seeing my surgeon on Dec 15. 

My worry is that it was caused by the physio manipulation, mostly because he wants to do it again next week.

I never had groin pain, but I am learning that with this operation it can affect any part of you, not just your knee.

They did tell me that the nerves are all together in the groin. Hope they stop soon.

Caz

• Posted

Hi Caz, isn't it funny how we all get pain in different parts of the leg? I don't get pain in the shin or groin but still get pain in the back of the thigh above the knee and the back of the calf just below the knee. It is better than it was but I feel it (particularly the thigh) when I bend my leg. The consultant didn't seem at all concerned about it when I saw him last week. Said it should improve in time but they can't guarantee anything!! I suppose we have to accept that full recovery takes 6 to 12 months. It's boring though isn't it? And it's the wondering if it's normal thing that's the worst. All our pains are probably due to the muscles readjusting and repairing. I'm lucky I'm still seeing a physio at the hospital. Going this afternoon. Take care all of you. Jen 
    • Posted

I went to the mall today with hubby, I was struggling a bit but I must have had a determined look on my face. Hubby had to carry on down the mall to the bank, but there was this bench, and a woman sitting on it smiling at me. She patted the bench next to her, so I sat down to wait for Des.

She turned out to be an orthopedic nurse! She recognized my scar.

She said it will take a year, and we will have forgotten it all. I find that hard to believe.

Caz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.