Shock of nearly losing my mum

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am 45 and have lived at home with my parents all of my life due to anxiety and depression issues.

My mum is 75 and was discharged from hospital a few weeks ago. She was seriously ill. Her kidneys failed, she had a heart issue and a bleed on the brain.

The thing is, I can't get over the shock of nearly losing her. She is my world and I idolise her. I know that I'm not going to be able to cope when she does pass. How do I deal with this?

Thanks Michelle

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you Michelle, I can't still get used to the shock of losing my dad 5 years later.  You can contact CRUSE who will help you to cope after bereavement.  There should be a national number in the phonebook or on the internet.  You are bound to hurt - it was your mum!  Take each day 1 day at a time and look after you.  I'm sorry for your loss.

• Posted

Oh now I just feel awful, I am so sorry, pray for her because I will and be grateful that she is still here and fought so hard to carry on her life.
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear this.  The sad fact is that everyone has to die sometime and the only answer I know is just to love them all the more and treasure them while they are still here. 

There is no point in looking too far into the future as you don't know what is going to happen.   She might live to be 100 or you might go first.  Also you don't know how you are going to cope without her as it hasn't happened.

I do know that my mother died at 90,  and although we had a difficult relationship we got a lot closer towards the end of her life for which I am grateful.   When she finally died I had mixed feelings - I missed her enormously and still do.  But on the other hand I didn't want her to suffer anymore.  I told myself she had lived a long and full life and that we would meet again one day.  I hate death but it is a sad fact of life and we can't do anything other than deal with it when it happens.

I am glad your mum is recovered now.  Take care. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying and your kind words. You're right with everything that you said. I will make the most out of every day that I have with my mum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.