Shockwave Therapy for possible PTTD

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been attending Orthopedics for a few years now.  I always get the feeling he is ignoring my medical history and is  more interested in treating the symptoms of the pain rather than finding the cause.  There is a family history of rheumatoid arthritis, scoliosis, ligament laxity and hypermobility in  my family and I have sprained my ankle numerous times over the years but self treated them using common sense.  I am now 52 years of age and about 3 years ago the pain in the ball of my foot got so bad I finally went to my GP who is amazing.  I was referred to orthopedics who made inserts for shoes but these didn't work.  I have been back 4 times.  I was told I have metatarsalgia and would always have a bone deformity and be in pain so I just accepted this.  However my GP recognised something else and sent  me for an x-ray which showed a dislocation in my toe.  The orthopedic surgeon explained they would have to remove the bone given the deformity and dislocation would likely reoccur without this surgery.  That was a year ago.  Since then the pain has gotten so much worse and my entire foot is so painful I can hardly walk some days.  I have not had any time off work and am constantly on my feet.  I finally went for a private scan which showed I have PTTD and queried sinus tarsi pathology.  I went back to the orthopedic clinic but he ignored this diagnosis and pooh poohed it.  He wants to carry out shockwave treatment.  I am worried this again is to deal with the pain rather than find out exactly what is wrong.  I asked for an MRI and he bluntly said no.  The shockwave treatment is due to start in 4 weeks time.  Should I ask again for an MRI?  Should I stay off work until the shockwave treatment starts?  I am worried that being on my feet all day for the next 4 weeks might do even more damage?  This is really having an effect on my mental health as I do not drive and love walking but am worried that I could end up never being able to enjoy walking again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Sounds like you have been through a lot.  Anyways, I just have a question and you can answer if you want to or not.  Are you overweight?  I am a little and believe that is why my plantar fasciitis is still with me.  But, am working on it and losing weight is definitely not easy.

One of these days I am sure that you will be feeling better and I hope I will too.

Take care,  Aimee

• Posted

Thanks Aine. I am about a stone and a half over weight. I was always very active but this past couple of years the weight has just piled on as I can't even walk to work any more (I would have walked 4 miles a day to and from work). I have been getting very depressed which has its impact also but I am determined to do my best to lose the weight.

• Posted

Hi. Who has given you the diagnosis that your ortho is choosing to ignore? If you feel theres a need, Id be considering a second opinion of your new diagnosis with proposed treatment plan I think. Id want to know if the therapy proposed is a positive for that new diagnosis and if not, Id maybe want to consider further research before allowing something which may aggravate to go ahead. If yes, then maybe nothing to lose either way. Maybe keep your appointment but research at the sane time to get clarity. Good luck.
  • Posted

I would definately get a second opinion. Shockwave treatment doesn't always work, tell him you want an MRI to get to the bottom of it. I had shockwave treatments, it didn't do anything. Am going to an appt. with an Ortho. Dr. tomorrow & I want an MRI. They are costly, but show everything so you can make decisions about what treatment you really need. My issues seem to be plantar Fasc., muscle pain & cramps in legs, & numbness in the feet.  Have tried many things, including shockwave & PT, just made me hurt worse. I am not table o enjoy any walking/hiking either, and am not sleeping at night because I have pain in my legs.  I have had 3 years of this foot/leg pain, I must find some answers. My quality of life is suffering, just like yours.  Let me know what you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.