Short term antidepressants success stories? Has anyone used them for a short period of time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I am eager to find out if anyone has used antidepressants for a short period of time like 6 months due to a tricky time in their life and then came off and continued to feel better and carry on like normal? I’ve just been put on citalopram 10mg due to stress and anxiety. Low mood etc because I can’t get better. I’ve lost 14lbs in 3 weeks and can’t seem to get my appetite back. I’m only on day 2 of the medication and know it’s to early to know whether it is going to help me yet. But I’m interested in finding out how people who have experienced anxiety have got on with it. I’m 32 and I have never had issues with anxiety like this before. But along with stomach problems and a rotator cuff injury it’s tipped me over the edge, causing unstoppable anxiety every single day. 

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sarah87543,

I am unsure of the answer to your question but do hope the medication helps you. Can I ask what stomach issues you are dealing with? I am currently dealing with gastritis, Ibs and anxiety and it’s taking over my life! 

• Posted

Hi Vicky

My stomach problems started after taking just a mere two doses of naproxen. ( I was prescribed them for a shoulder complaint)  the next day I was bowled over in pain where they had irritated my stomach lining causeing gastritis, i immediately stopped taking them ( this was 3 1/2 weeks ago )  but following on from this I have battled with very painful indigestion and diaorreah, all of this I think brought in the anxiety. I am still having shoulder problems to so it’s just been a bit to much. I have never experienced anxiety like this in my 32 years. My anxiety had caused mild panic attack’s ( when the pain was bad) IBS symptoms and blood of weight due to having no appetite and having to avoid so much food. I have lost 14lbs in this time which is a considerable amount for me to loose. The physical affects of this have been the worst for me. I felt like my body couldn’t heal and the anxiety was getting worse, which made me more poorly. I have CBT booked in for 23rd November but after 3 weeks of this torture I just couldn’t take it anymore. I couldn’t work or anything, even just caring for my children became hard. So the doctor has put me on citalopram 10mg for the anxiety. I’m on day 3 and I’m not feeling to bad actually. Maybe it’s because I felt so bad before I don’t know. My bowel movements have started to normalise and I’m not feeling as nauseous as i did beforehand. I’m also taking probiotics once a day as well as they lots of live cultures that are good for the gut. I’ve spoken to the receptionist at my doctors who have confirmed with a doctor that it’s ok to take with citalopram so fingers crossed I can get better soon. What are you doing to help your gastritis? Have you been given anything? I was prescribed omeprazole which gave me really bad diarrhoea and then mebeverine for the ibs which made me sick. So nothing agreed with me. So hoping that citalopram will and I’ll be able to get this under control and get back to normal. Hope you get better soon I know how horrible it is. 

• Posted

Wow sarah87543,

I really feel for you and my story is so similar to yours. I was going through a pretty stressful time and got what we thought may have been food poisoning or a tummy bug and never really recovered fully from there. I was diagnosed with gastritis following an endoscopy too and that was in early September. A few weeks later I started to get bad indegestion, heart burn, chest pain and what I think it reflux. I have had multiple tests and everything else is normal. 

This really stirred up my anxiety which has brought on so many other symptoms. At the moment I have a warm/burning feeling mostly in my right leg that I sometimes feel in my head and arms. It’s so scary and frustrating. I’m taking amytripliline which is helping me sleep but that’s it at this stage. 

I also have bad Ibs symptoms, I’m so over it really. Just want my normal life back. I still have gastritis and have follow up endoscopy in january. I get my ph levels checked on 24 hour monitor this month to test for reflux and start cbt on the 27th too. I hope things get better for you 

• Posted

Oh Vicky I’m so sorry you have been dealing with this for so long. Our stories are very similar you are right. That does give me some relief that I’m not alone in this and neither are you. 

The gut is like the second brain. 95% of your serotonin is made in your gut. So thats probably why our anxiety has been triggered. Are you able to eat still? My anxiety caused extreme lack of appetite, and when I did I just felt nauseous and sometimes threw up the acid in my stomach. Even though I was barely eating anything and what I was eating was safe and bland. It didn’t matter. The anxiety has also caused very bad body pains more specifically my back, shoulder and neck which is common as that’s where you carry stress. 

Have you thought about getting some probiotics? You can pick them up from any health stores local to you or online. They will really help with your tummy, they have been proven to help with gut problems. Look up the benefits. 

Definitely do the CBT I wish I could have waited but my symptoms were to bad I physically couldn’t go on. I’m still potentially going to have a few bad days but I am reading lots of self help books to help me understand what anxiety is. It’s helping. I’m not as afraid as I was last week because I’m learning about it. 

Please don’t hesitate to message on this thread if you want to chat going forward. We can get through this together. 

• Posted

Hi vicki 85531

I’ve just sent a reply but waiting for it to be moderated. Hopefully it will come through soon. X

• Posted

I don’t know why my other post is still waiting to be moderated. I’ll just try again. 

Our stories are very similar, I’m sorry you have been dealing with gastritis for so long. Are you taking any probiotics? If not I highly recommend them. I am taking them everyday along side my citalopram. They are great for gut health. 

I think it’s great that you are also pursuing CBT because I think it’s probably going to be very beneficial. I’m a talker, I’m not afraid or embarrassed to tell people how I feel, nor am I embarrassed to admit that I have now got to the point of needing a little help. This is something we will get through and I believe it’s just a test in life. I think going through something that affects your mind and being able to come out the other side ( however long it takes ) is only going to make us stronger. 

Are you following a specific diet to help with your gastritis? 

• Posted

Hmmm strange, not sure why it was still waiting to be moderated. Not only are our stories similar but we appear to be similar in personality too. I too am not embarrassed or afraid to accept help and admit I am struggling. I broke down in my doctors office a few weeks ago and said I know I need help. I have spoken to my close friends about it too which really helps. I took Probiotics for a month and then stopped but started again a few days ago. What probiotic do you take? Do you feel like you still have your gastritis? Are you taking any medication for your gastritis?
    • Posted

Yeah I have been to the doctors so many times over the past 3 weeks and I’ve kept it together because I’m pretty strong. But Wednesday when I went I saw a nurse practitioner ( she was younger than me. But she seemed to really listen. I to burst into tears because I didn’t know what to do. I think that my gastritis has healed somewhat because I’m not experiencing the chest and back pain anymore, but then I have still been being super careful with what I’m eating. I think the fact that I haven’t been able to eat has helped the process of my stomach healing. But it took a little longer because anxiety increases the amount of acid your stomach produces which only worsened the symptoms at first. I’m taking optibac probiotics. Again I’ve only just started so on day 4. I’m trying to introduce other foods back into my diet gradually but my stomach has shrank so much I am still struggling, trying to eat small but often I think that’s the key. 

I wanted to loose a few lbs before Christmas but not this much and not this way. I would have rather put on this amount of weight in 3 weeks than felt like this.

But again like I said before it’s just a test. It’s something that I know I will look back on and be like WOW that was hard but I pulled through and I’m even stronger. I keep making myself do the things I would normally even if I think it might bring on anxiety, because I think if you stop and avoid then it’ll just make it harder to get back into. 

Are you taking anything for your gastritis? They did give me omeprazole but only took it for 1 week as it made me have severe diarrhoea. But most people get on well with it. 

• Posted

ok so that post needs to be moderated to. It might be because I have put which probiotics I am using? Maybe it’s not allowed. 

I to broke down on Wednesday as I just didn’t know what else to do to help myself anymore. Hence why they put me on citalopram. I was initially given omeprazole for my gastritis but only took it for a week as it didn’t agree with me. Gave me severe diaorreah. Although it’s widely used and helps lots of people. Might be worth a try for you so you have time to let your stomach heal. 

• Posted

i feel for you, it is so exhausting and debilitating. That’s exactly when my medication was prescribed and my mental health plan was prepared for my cbt. I am currently taking somac for my gastritis. I was taking nexium but it didn’t seem to make a difference so I swapped to somac and it helps me a lot. It makes me more comfortable but I just don’t know why it isn’t going away. Do you feel like you still have gastritis?
    • Posted

No not really. My doctors said that 2 naproxen couldn’t have caused to much damage. But then again I haven’t had any high sugar foods or chocolate since which made me worse. I guess I’ll no for sure when I finally feel brave enough to eat something that could potentially irritate it. But for now I’m happy still avoiding certain things for a little while longer to make sure it definitely is healed. 

I hope you can get yours sorted very soon. My advise is to avoid all the acidic foods, caffeine, alcohol, dairy ( unless you can stomach it ok ) spicy foods and just try to eat foods that are soft and easily digestible. Also flaxseed is good for your gut too, I have been having on yogurt or porridge. 

• Posted

I think there is definitely an argument to say that anxiety is directly relatable to stomach problems. So I think most people who have major tummy problems are more likely to encounter anxiety because the gut is like a second brain.  

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I have been a little naughty and still having a coffee a day but it’s decaf and a bit of chocolate or sweet here and here. Otherwise I am eating well and bland, lots of steamed veg. I seem to stomach the dairy without any trouble. I will make sure I contribute pro biotic and want to try the soaked chia seeds. I made butter chicken last week and the next day my whole belly had a burning feeling and my bottom and I did 3 Bowel movements so I think it stirred up my Ibs. I have learnt what I can and can’t eat and try to avoid my trigger foods the best I can. I really should cut diary and sugar out completely but it makes me feel good mentally. I feel better after a nice biscuit or piece of home made cake! 
    • Posted

Don’t we all lol. I’m still to on and off nauseous at the moment to care though. I’m just not hungry and never fancy anything. I’m just eating to maintain myself at the moment so it’s probably a good thing I’m not craving things I shouldn’t be eating. Going to attempt a Sunday roast today. Wish me luck. 😬

• Posted

I hope your appetite comes back soon. Mine is back, I just feel discomfort after eating. How did you roast go?
    • Posted

Ate a little bit but not a lot. Still better than nothing though. My anxiety was really high between 4-6am this morning. I have come down a little but not totally. Might be because I’m trying to hear back to work again today. This is absolutely exhausting isn’t it. I’ve just forced some porridge down gonna go and get a little headspace before I get us all ready for the crazy morning of school runs and work. Hope you have a better day x
    • Posted

I’m glad you got a little bit down, I hope you enjoyed what you did get. Does your anxiety wake you? Just thought maybe it does for you to be up that early or your a very early riser. The meds I am on help me sleep, I used to toss and turn and only get 3 hours sleep a night but now sleeping all night. I take my meds an hour before I go to bed. How did your first day back go?
    • Posted

Yes my anxiety wakes me usually. 4am seems to be the time as well, although I’ve been so exhausted that I have been asleep by 8pm most nights. So technically I am getting enough sleep, although somewhat broken ( i to toss and turn ) but if I wake and my anxiety it really bad I have no chance of going back to sleep. I just lay there in panic for a few hours trying to use breathing techniques to calm me down. It’s horrible. So today I was very anxious when I got to work, I was so worried that I wasn’t going to be able to perform to the best of my ability. I felt awful for the first hour, but then maybe the citalopram kicked in or something ( only on day 5 though ) but I really calmed down, not completely but enough to actually do my job better. I even went to the supermarket after work to grab some groceries which I never thought id be able to do this soon on my own. So maybe they are already starting to work for me. 

Really weird question? But did you get blocked ears after taking citalopram when you first started. It’s happened twice now. It’s the oddest feeling and goes away eventually but I don’t know whether it’s another odd side effect. Oh also more good news, I actually felt hungry at lunch time today. Didn’t eat much but enough to give me some energy. Onwards and upwards. 

How are you today? 

• Posted

Hi sarah87543,

I am sorry for the late reply. I am glad your day went well and it's awesome you made it to the supermarket on your own. How were you today? I hope its up from here for you. I am taking amitriptyline and haven't had blocked ears but I have had ringing in my ears. 

how was your appetite today? my appetite is so good, too good actually. it makes me eat too much but if I don't fill up I feel yucky. its hard can't be too full or too empty!

• Posted

Is omeprazole a ppi? I am taking somac currently, is this the same? I have my ph testing next week so have to stop my ppi tomorrow for a week so that is going to really suck because it really helps me. Once that test is over, I am going to try slippery elm until my follow-up endoscopy in January. 

You are doing very well and your positive thinking is inspiring and is what is going to get you to the other end. 

• Posted

So today has probably been the best I’ve had over the past 4 weeks ( day 6 of citalopram) shocked that it isn’t causing me more horrible side effects as lots of people have a very bad time initially. But I guess it is still early days. My appetite has been much better the past 48 hours or so, still can’t eat much in the morning but I guess it’s because my anxiety is increased in the mornings. Although this morning wasn’t actually as bad as yesterday morning so that’s good. I’ve not long finished my shift and I’m exhausted now. But totally thankful for being able to work well the past two days. I have tomorrow off so I can just potter around ( maybe do some Christmas shopping) if I feel up to it. I also have lots of studying to catch up on which I’ve been unable to face so should get cracking with that too. 

It’s great that u have a good appetite. Another one of my colleagues has had a bad time the past week with anxiety and has also lost lots of weight. It’s a horrible illness isn’t it. 

Omeprazole is a PPI yes. So must be similar to what you are taking. 

I’ve also been trying to meditate in the mornings as well which is helping me with breathing techniques. Feels a little silly still but it makes sense, think it’s helping a little. 

I’ve had 1 cup of tea today and it was so good. But I’m going to limit it to just one in the morning for the time being and see how I go. ( I miss my caffeine more than my wine that’s for sure ) 

• Posted

Oh I am so glad to hear, I hope each day gets better and better for you. My Mum started anxiety medication a couple of years ago and had no side effects at all and after a week she was starting to feel heaps better. Some just work for some people and it appears maybe you are one of those people. 👍

I had to stop my ppi today for a week until I have my ph test done next Wednesday. I was very scared to do it but trying to look at it as a positive. Will get reliable results and will be good to see how i go off them as I gave been on them for 2 months now. 

I love my morning coffee and even switching to decaf my tummy still doesn’t like so I decided today to swap it to a morning tea and see how I go. So I’ll try that tomorrow morning. I hope you enjoy your day off and get some relaxing and that Xmas shopping done. I really feel for your work colleague, it’s such a horrible thing anxiety! 😢

I have loved chatting with you x

• Posted

Yes it’s been lovely. It’s always nice to know that your not on your own and we all occasionally have these moments in life where we become poorly ( more than a standard bug or cold)  but actually it’s probably our bodies way of saying right time for some changes. I think I’m going to look after myself both mentally and physically more going forward because this has taught me so much. 

I called to get my stool results today but they were still with the doctor who needed to put a note on it after he’d seen them. It’ll probably be all fine. I think my stomach and bowel issues are finally ( slowly ) getting back to normal. But not quite yet. 

Hope your Ph test goes smoothly and you don’t experience to much discomfort whilst you take a break from your ppi’s. Do let me know how you get on. I think you can personal message people on here so feel free to do that going forward it’ll be nice to keep in touch. X

• Posted

I hope your feeling even better again today and that you got your stool results. I seen a different GP today because I couldn’t get in with my usual doctor and he was very good. He really helped me to understand what my mind and body is doing over this health anxiety and he believes my gastritis is still there because I am so stressed and worried about my health and it’s increasing my stomach acid. All the things he said made perfect sense and he explained in a way no one else has yet! I had a pretty good day today after seeing him. My stomach hurt/ burnt as usual but it wasn’t as bad and my reflux was a bit better too. I felt much more relaxed and feel my symptoms did too. Definately has the roll in effect, it’s like your constantly chasing your tail!!

I would love to keep in contact, I think the support is fantastic. Do you live in Australia? 

• Posted

Ah that’s good then. I usually always feel better after a visit with a good doctor. Glad you have been able to shed some light on why you have been feeling this way. 

I’m actually pretty good today. Today was the first day I have felt a little bit like my old self. Still not totally, but I woke up without the dreaded anxiety. Maybe my tablets are already starting to work somewhat. I slept a full 10 hours last night, a little broken because my daughter woke me a few times but I think I just needed it. I’m so happy for the weekend. 

I live in the UK actually so other side of the world. Do you? That’s pretty cool. 

• Posted

If it’s easier and you do happen to have Facebook feel free to add me my name is Sarah Morgan my picture is my two children in their school uniform. Obviously my profile is private so you may need to message me beforehand so I know it’s you.  
    • Posted

I am so glad you are having another good day today, I too think your medication is helping which is fantastic smile

I’m having a pretty good day today too, but have had a bit of muscle pain in my legs today. Otherwise good smile

Yeah I live in Australia, I will search you on Facebook now. 

• Posted

I have tried to search you but can’t seem to find you! Do you have Skype?
    • Posted

No I don’t have Skype I’m afraid. Maybe I can search for you. What’s your name and profile picture?
    • Posted

My name is Vicki Fountain and my profile picture is of me and my partner in crows colours (I’m wearing a crows - blue, red and yellow gurnsey). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.