Shortness of breath. Safe to assume it is anxiety?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 24 year old male, skinny, don't do any drugs and I drink very little alcohol. I've been suffering from health anxiety for a lot of months now.

During this past month - month and a half, I've been having shortness of breath in the evenings, as if I just couldn't get enough air into my lungs or something. Recently I tried taking 1 diazepam 2 mg when I was suffering an episode of this, and about 45 minutes later, the shortness of breath disappeared almost completely.

Is it safe to assume that the culprit here is anxiety then? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are lots of other reasons for shortness of breath 

it doesnt necessarily need to be anxiety( though it could) 

do you have any other symptoms?

• Posted

Not really. Very mild dizziness and that's about it. I do have some occasional, very very mild chest pains, but aside from that nothing else.

The reason I ask if it is safe to assume it is anxiety is because the shortness of breath went away with valium.

• Posted

Not really. Very mild dizziness and that's about it. I do have some occasional, very very mild chest pains, but aside from that nothing else.
    • Posted

you should still consider going to a doctor .. maybe you are overworked or something 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.