Should I be on anxiety medication??

Posted , 4 users are following.

My family and I have always been against anxiety medication. But recently I have been getting more and more anxious about going to college. I am thrilled to be moving on, which is why I'm so perplexed by my anxiety. It's like I am excited and terrified at the same time. I really want to do well and get involved especially since I was never involved in High School because of my anxiety. I really don't want my anxiety to hinder my college experience, so I have been sort of thinking about possibly getting a prescription. Idk what should I do???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

ide say Tey therapy first, get food night sleep every day 8 hours, eat healthy and cut ot caffeine. do that for a month and see, also lots of exercise and walking.
  • Posted

Instead of anti ds why not try rescue remedy for your anxious days. It worked very well for me and is very safe. Even kids and pets can take it. I give it to my dogs on fireworks night x
  • Posted

Try cbt first. The. Learn mindfullness breathing technoques and meditaions. If you are flexible try yoga. There are no happy pills and anxiety meds whilst work on some do not work on all and some have side effects. Some are addicting and would need to be weaned off. I agree in getting therapy..behavioral therapy is use for anxiety attacks.
  • Posted

Meds are addicting sometimes. have you thought of therapy?
    • Posted

I have been to therapy but I kinda just talked my way out. I'm very rational so no therapist has ever worried about me. I have been getting over some slight depression so I'm becoming more active and am totally gonna start yoga. The thing that worries me most is getting an unexpected panic attack and becoming crippled from it. I want something that is going to relieve that panic attack on the spot. I'm not really considering meds anymore because my best friend has had horrible experiences with anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. I just need some on the spot coping mechanisms.
    • Posted

have you tried cognitive behavorial therapy (CBT)?
  • Posted

Think about this.  If you had type on diabetes, would you and your parents be against insulin?  I understand some people who are against medications.  But I also believe that if they have exhausted other avenues to treat the illness, medication doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.