Should I be worried about this lymph node?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, about 17 days ago I noticed a small lump in the space between my left ear and jawline. I immediately went to my Doctor who diagnosed it as a reactive lymph node, as I had a nasty cankersore/ulcer on the left side of my mouth. He wasn't worried as it was less than 1cm, smooth and mobile. Said to come back in 10 days if it didn't go away.

In 10 days the cankersore has disappeared and the lump had definitely gotten smaller but still there. I went back to the doctor (a different one as mine was unavailable). She had a lot of trouble locating it, but eventually was able to and could barely feel it and didn't seem too worried. Said to call her in a few weeks if I was worried, but she wasn't concerned.

It's been a week since then and personally I can still feel it, it hasn't gotten bigger but I'm worried as I've never really dealt with lumps before on my body and am concerned it may be something like cancer/lymphoma. I tried to show my parents this morning but they could barely feel it also. Not sure if it's worth going back to my doctor as it's getting quite costly or just keep an eye on it to see if it gets bigger.

Also FYI I had a blood test recently that all came back within normal parameters,

Thanks,

Ben

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben,

I know saying try not to worry about it is easier said than done but, as it is going down, other people are finding it hard to locate and the doctor said to come back in a few weeks, it sounds like it is getting better and maybe linked to your canker sore/ ulcer. Are you/were you run down recently? Our bodies often develope ulcers/boils etc when we're run down and we're less able to fight infections. Our lymph nodes help flush infection out and can get overwhelmed at such times. I ended up with quite a big lump and the doctor wasn't worried about it but I was. I was relieved when it started to get much smaller. Totally nothing there now. It's natural to be curious of your lump which sounds quite small now but, try to distract yourself and see if you can find it yourself again after a few days.

Hope that helps

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.