should i be worried to start orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've asked my doctor to help me lose some weight as nothing was working. And found out I had fat on my liver (which sacred the hell out of me). She proscribed me orlistat. Which I'm a little concerned about starting as I do not know when the side effects will kick in the one I'm most concerned about is the oily leakage. Could anyone out there help me.

Cheers

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

You won't have any side effects if you stick to the rules of no more than 5g of fat per 100g and no more than 15g of fat per meal. I started last year at a size 24 and am now a 12/14 they do work but you have to eat the right things. If you eat high fat and junk you will get the oil Good Luck smile x
  • Posted

Hey

Thanks for the reply. But I don't understand what that means : 5g per 100g no more than 15g per meal. Well I think I know what you mean but how do you tell lol.

Well done on you weight loss. That's phenomenal really impressive how hard was it to lose really? Also how do you know portion size etc I'm new to all of this.

Thanks for the support

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I am slightly confused by it all too! I only started today and don't really know what I can eat!

• Posted

Hey

Yeah I'm confused by all this to. Like is it total fats or saturated fats? And what about sugars are they alright? It's mad I really wanna shift the weight but the thought of going for a run makes me wanna have a nap lol

• Posted

Hi Phil

Basically you have to read the backs of the packets at the supermarket this will take a couple of visits to get used to but it will become like second nature.

For example i had quorn fillets today they are 1.8g of fat per 100g and for each fillet is 0.8 i had two with homemade wedges and salad and a dip of fat free fromage frais from sainsburys with sweet chili sauce mixed in a very low fat healthy meal also you can't have oil or butter you have to use spray oil which is called frylight.

I don't really eat meat but chicken baked or fried in frylight is low in fat as is venison which i have had and sainsburys do lean beef steaks that are 3g of fat per steak serve with potatoes which you can roast using frylight serve with vegetables and is really filling. Sorry going off at a tangent there just putting some things down that i have that you may like. If you need any tips please just post and i will reply smile x

I tried to post this last night but my internet was going funny have you started the tablets yet?

• Posted

I don't count sugars and Low Fat foods tend to be high in sugar you don't count the saturated fat you count the total fat. One way to do it is do your shopping online even if you don't use online shopping you can look at the labels and add them to your basket so you know what you are buying before you get to the shops.Fat makes you fat wouldn't worry too much about the sugars but of course natural sugars in fruit are better x
  • Posted

Hey

Thanks for all the great advice. It's brilliant I like the examples so I can get my head around it. I'm going to take my first pill tomorrow morning I've been out and stocked up with things to eat I think I got this right: tonight I'm gonna cook a stir fri I got the veg noodles and sauce from Sainsburys all the values were less that 5g per 100 for fat multiplied that by the weight of the packet added it up divided by the portions I'm going to make and wal la one meal with 11.6 g of fat. I think that's how your meant to do it yeah?

Thanks again for all your help.

• Posted

Hey

Thanks for all the great advice. It's brilliant I like the examples so I can get my head around it. I'm going to take my first pill tomorrow morning I've been out and stocked up with things to eat I think I got this right: tonight I'm gonna cook a stir fri I got the veg noodles and sauce from Sainsburys all the values were less that 5g per 100 for fat multiplied that by the weight of the packet added it up divided by the portions I'm going to make and wal la one meal with 11.6 g of fat. I think that's how your meant to do it yeah?

Thanks again for all your help.

• Posted

Hi Phil yes that is exactly how you do it Good Luck and keep us updated of how you get on smile
  • Posted

Yeah great I think I'm ready. I just wish there was like a manual that came with all this stuff.

Thank you so much for your help.

• Posted

So it's been a few days and so far so good no orange oil so that's all good kinda got my head around the rules still learning a lot. Just wondering what you do when you go out to eat at a restaurant

Cheers

Phil

• Posted

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to let you all know that I had my first month review at the doctors and I have lost 8kg which I'm over the moon about.

Thanks for all the advice

Phil.

• Posted

@recklessPhil

Well done on your weight loss good luck for the rest of your journey and your welcome smile

• Posted

Hey.

I was wondering and I've looked on the other threads. By now we all know the rules no more than 5g per 100g etc however I was wondering what happens if you buy a meal who's over all fat content is less that 5g but some or the ingredients in it are more. For example a soup that contains cream the soup is fine but the cream would not be. I hope ice made myself clear lol.

Cheers Phil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.