Should I come off citalopram ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there . I need some advice really . I have been on 10mg for a year and a half now and it has really helped me through a bad time of life. I lost my mum two years ago and my anxiety and symptoms spiralled out of control and I'm also peri menopausal , so a double whammy . I went to the doctors the other day about my hormonal migraines and asked about the citalopram . She said that maybe I should taper myself off slowly as it is not advisable to keep taking it long term . Part of me really wants to come off , but I am petrified of going back to my previous state . Also I understand that peri makes your hormones to fluctuate quite severely and citalopram is often prescribed to help regulate them a bit . I know that I am on the lowest dose , but I hate taking them and would like to be drug free and not be addicted to them for the rest of my life . Any thoughts please would be greatly appreciated love Jane

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I am 46 and was on escitalopram for 4 years and the doctor also told me to come off them. I suffering with health anxiety and have an under active thyroid and it all came on after my 5th child a little girl was born. I wouldn't come off them if you are coping. I am not coping very well at the moment and wouldn't recommend it. See how things go and how you feel. Don't rush into anything. 

Best wishes anna 

• Posted

Hi jane

I am perimenopausal and also on citalopram.

There is no time limit to how long you can be on them. If they help continue. They are not addictive but something your body needs to feel well.

I have also just started HRT.

Good luck

• Posted

Hello Zoe and thank you for replying . Maybe you can understand how I am feeling as we are both in the perimenopausal club ?? I don't know if I was depressed at the time , as I was suffering badly from the grief of losing my mum . I think it didn't help that my hormones were all over the place . I just worry about taking them and the longer I take the harder it will be to ever come off . It was when the doctor said that I should come off as they only like you on them for as shorter time as possible that concerned me . If I could cope without I would rather be drug free . That's why it's great to have these forums because I think it's better if everyone can give advice and guidance as they exactly what you are going through. Also you don't have to keep running back to the doctors every five minutes .

• Posted

My advice is stay on them (but that's only my advice others may feel differently) especially if you have hormonal challenges to face aswell. 10mg is a really low dose and 20mg is usually the therapeutic dose so you have done well.

Have you had peri confirmed? Your age? HRT is something to really consider.

• Posted

I have not had it confirmed as such , but the doctor has said it's the case in as many words. I shall be fifty in a fortnight . 

• Posted

Hi Jane, if you really want to come off them then a very slow taper is needed, maybe over 6 months. If you feel you are slipping backwards at any time then simply go back to your normal dose. 

Cotrary to you I've been on a maintenance dose for years, the longest I've gone without is probably around 3 years, I have no problem taking anti depressants long term and probably for theocrats of my life now. Neil 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.