Should I come off medications?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suddenly got generalized anxiety back in March 2015,  for no obvious reason.   One day I was well; the next a nervous wreck.  I think this is unusual.    Has anyone else had this experience?

After much suffering I am now 90% okay because I take sertraline (100mg) plus mitazapine(15mg) for sleep.

The last two times I have visited my GP she has mentioned coming off those drugs, but I do not want to come off them.

I do not think my anxiety is like a broken finger - which will mend itself.  I think if I come off,  the anxiety will return.  I do not want to put myself through withdrawal for nothing.

As I am 70 years old, I am happy to stay on the drugs. 

Any advice please?  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried any CBT or counselling to help with your anxiety? I agree with you that when you come off the meds the anxiety may simply return. 

If you haven't had any counselling maybe speak to your GP about carrying on with your meds whilst receiving some extra help and support through the practical means of therapy? 

• Posted

Thanks Fee for your reply.

I have not tried CBT or councelling face to face but I have read a lot about it.  I am not sure it would help me much. I do not need more help really - as the medications do me fine.  

• Posted

I think an awful lot of people go into therapy thinking that it won't help and end up surprising themselves. 

That being said if you're content on your meds and are happy with the way things are going, I would just explain this to your dr and ask to carry on as you are. I don't think staying on them will do you any harm.

• Posted

I personally would stay on the meds, the longer the better, unless you know what the cause of the anxiety was, and has now been dealt with.

Im suprised your doctor wants you to come off them as it is recommended to stay on them for at least 12 months after recovery 

• Posted

Thank you for those replies.

There was no one cause of the anxiety - I was anxious about anything out of the ordinary.   Eg,  I was having panic attacks while in the surgery waiting room. 

I also am surprised the doctor wants me off them.  Thanks for the support Nick.      

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.