should I feel as bad as this

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I`m beginning to wonder how I`d ever have managed this horrible Graves without this forum....

For 3 weeks now I`ve gone from an overactive thyroid to underactive. My endo suggested I cut my carbimazole from 20 mg to 10 mg, which I`ve done for a week now but I feel so ill. I expect sluggish feelings but the pain in my muscle and joints is terrible. Because I ended up with atrial fibulation just after I was diagnosed, I`m on warfarin, so my choice of pain relief is limited. I`m taking tramadol and paracetamol and they`re hardly touching the pains- surely this isn`t right?  I`ve not taken any carbimazole today as my instincts are telling me not to.  Any advice please. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Please be careful of the tramadol as they in themselves make you feel hyperactive and they are also very addictive.  I am sure it was those horrible tablets that triggered my Graves in the first place.  Is there a different, stronger than paracetamol tablet you can take?
    • Posted

Thanks for answering Screwball- I know what you mean, I don`t like the tramadol either, I have them for arthritis in my back and usually manage on 2 a day. But the joint pain since going underactive has been awful and I`m not sure what else I can take.
  • Posted

It's difficult to say when you are on other than thyroid medications what to do. I have arthritis and I started on Tylenol for arthritis and then had to move to a prescription med so I was given Arthrotec for my joints. Both of these help a lot. For the sore muscles, hyperthyroid patients lose carnitine from their muscles through their urine because of their disease. I would usually suggest taking Acetyl-L-Carnitne but in your case because you are hypo, I would not do that. You may want to try a small dose of regular L-carnitine like 500 mg and if you tolerate that add another 500 mg. The Acetyl will raise your TSH very quickly whereas in my experience the regular raised it a little bit but not a lot.
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your joint and pain issues. I take glucosamine which helps to lubricate your joints. If you have seen commercials for Osteo Biflex, that is what it is. Different stores sell their generic brand of glucosamine that is like Osteo. I take one in the morning and i before bed. I have taken them when I was hyperthyroid and also now that my thyroid is out and I am hypothyroid. My doctore knows I have been taking it all along and it wasn't a problem. It made a tremendous difference in my joint problem. It may help you.
  • Posted

Screwball the remark about tramadol is interesting. I was also on it when I first became hyper and always felt that it had triggered it. My GP said categorically not !!

Joy - hang on in there, this disease is a bitch but can be overcome. This site really helps with knowledge and support and read as much as you can about thyroid disease. If you are going under you could stop your Carb for a few days ( till symptoms resolve ) then start on a lower dose. Initially I kept going under and eventually was advised to do that. Suffered terribly before that though !! There is no harm in reducing your Carb until you feel well on a dose. Increasing it yourself is much more dangerrous. Don't worry, you will get there in time smile

• Posted

Thanks all who answered. Linnet- I didn`t take a Carb yesterday and I already feel a little bit better today. I`m still feeling underactive symptoms though, so I`m waiting for an appointment with my GP later today to ask for something else for the pain.  I`m wondering whether to stop the Carb like you said (Linnet) or carry on, on a much less dose? I`ll discuss it with my GP but from past discussions he doesn`t seem too clued up on the thyroid.

Oh well onward and upward !!  x

• Posted

That is really interesting what you say about tramadol, because I too, am convinced my graves was triggered by tramadol.  There is absolutely no family history of thyroid issues hypo or hyper, so it did seem rather strange that I suddenly end up with graves.  It did make feel really ill when I came off tramadol and I wondered if that is where the link might be.  It was clearly a very traumatic experience of my body and wonder how you felt when you came off tramadol.  I would never have taken it (for back pain) if I had have known it was going to be so difficult to come off of.

• Posted

Screwball- I noticed you took tramadol for back pain, this is why I take it. Would you mind my asking what you take instead? I`d love to have something different to tramadol x
    • Posted

Sorry Joy, but in my case the back pain went long before I gave up the tramadol so I did not need any other form of pain relief.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.