Should I get medical help?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been diagnosed with ibs and I’m in the middle of a flare-up. I can’t eat anything without severe pain and lots of discoloured diarrhoea. It’s been like his for the last 3 days. My medications aren’t working that I was only prescribed last week. When should I get medical help and who should I get help from (eg. Doctors or hospital)?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you’re struggling, and you clearly are, I think you should see your GP, especially if your meds are not working. Also, you might consider trying the low FODMAP diet, it can be very useful for people with IBS as it can be brought on by certain food types (which are eliminated on the lowFODMAP diet, and gradually reintroduced, to see which foods you have a problem with). 
    • Posted

I have been to my GP many times and they basically just tell me to deal with it because it’s ‘just ibs.’ I feel terrible and they never seem to help me. I have considered the low FODMAP diet but I don’t know if I want to try it yet, I just want to make sure that I’ve looked at all the other options first.
  • Posted

Have you been in a lot of stress lately? 

• Posted

No, I’m only 15 and I’m unable to go to school because of this issue. I’m under no stress apart from the fact that the dizziness and weakness from the ibs is sort of stresssing me out because I’m just so fed up of it now. I feel like my GP isn’t very useful.
    • Posted

If you are having diarrhoea, it is better to completely avoid fruit until the flare up settles down.  Try imodium to stop the diarrhoea.
  • Posted

Give your medication time to work.  Wait a week. Flare ups can last hours, days, weeks or months.

Otherwise,ask for a different antispasmodic or ask for the dose to be increased.  So a food diary and don’t worry.  Low Fodmap may help you.

• Posted

Hey tess...sorry you have to go through this....first thing first...you are having diarrhea and stomach pain so you cannot eat much and you are loosing fluids in diarrhea...right now most important thing is to replenish the fluids you have lost with electrolytes....you can take lemon juice with salt and sugar with some electrolytes fluids high in potassium...that will give you energy and motivation to deal with the issue which causing this problem...try to eat light food, easy on stomach ,lots of fruits etc...I know it is difficult partwink but to come out of this you need to do that.

keep taking your IBS medicines...If your medicines are not working and you are not satisfied your GP then you can always change your doctor who listens to you and try to help you in your troubles....but one thing keep in mind, we are responsible for our health....so you can always experiment with food...In my case i cannot tolerate wheat, I was a big lover of wheat bread but i had to stop eating...and now I see that avoiding those things make me more energetic and full of life, now if some one is eating in front of me i can just shrug my shoulderswink and not tempted to eat it...the motivation of feeling better and healthy is enough to take care of our diet....so don't worry dear....See IBS as an opportunity to be different from others and see the life from the different perspective which wouldn't have possible if we were absolutely normal....biggrin 

• Posted

Take Imodium and stick to a plain diet e.g. bread, crackers, eggs. Make sure to drink plenty. Things like buscopan take a few days to really kick in. Paracetamol, ibuprofen and a good old hot water bottle can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.