should I get my fibroids checked????

Posted , 4 users are following.

got dignosed with fibroids about 5 years ago never got told the size at the time they was small tho and not been checked since but having a lot of trouble with bowels bladder painful periods and every now and again bleeding between periods my periods vary each month weather they r heavy or not if on time or not

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

I would get them checked again as sounds like they are going to cause problems. While they are small they can be blasted with Lasers. If they grow big your choices become more limited this is why I would get them checked as soon as possible

While you are waiting for the appointment do loads of research online the more the better. So that if they tell you it's large fibroids then you will know all your options. Gynocologist will advise you on what is best for them or their hospital if you have large fibroids. So be prepared for that.

Good luck and keep us posted

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Fibroids can get bigger over time and start leaning on bladder and bowels. Best to see your doctor, explain all your symptoms, get the fibroids checked and find out what your treatment options are for the fibroids.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't think everyone is offered hysterectomy, as the patient its best to know what you want and what you don't want by doing some research. I went for surgery (open Myomectomy) as I had multiple fibroids and lots of unpleasant symptoms and wanted to preserve my uterus. None of my doctors mentioned hysteroctomy. Women have more knowledge and more choices and the right consultant will listen to your concerns. If you do not want any more children, depedending on your age, you may be offered the option of hysteroctomy and if you decicde to go down that route, make sure you keep your ovaries in place. I am happy with my decison of open myomectomy and recovering very well and looking forward to a better quality of life. My friend who also suffered from multiple fibroids and frequent heavy bleeding chose to have a hysterectomy and is happy with her decision. Best to get checked out and look at all the treatment options available to you. Doing nothing is not an option once you start having lots of unplesant symptoms with bladder and bowels.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe not everyone is offered Hysterectomy for large fibroids. I was offered Hysterectomy only and a lot women have the problem. In my case the Gynocologist refused a Myomectomy and tried to block me getting a UFE.

I just like women to know that there are options with Large Fibroids. If the women then decides herself she wants a Hysteretomy then at least that is her decision. You were lucky to get a got Gynocologist but not every woman does

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe not everyone is offered Hysterectomy for large fibroids. I was offered Hysterectomy only and a lot women have the problem. In my case the Gynocologist refused a Myomectomy and tried to block me getting a UFE.

I just like women to know that there are options with Large Fibroids. If the women then decides herself she wants a Hysteretomy then at least that is her decision. You were lucky to get a got Gynocologist but not every woman does

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes definitely the blighters can grow really quickly! I never realized they were the cause of my heavy bleeding, I didn't get mine checked for about 5 years due to relocating to Spain and no health cover here. They had grown hugely in that time, partly due to the imbalance of hormones coming up to menopause. Best of luck!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up