Should I get my gallbladder taken out?

Posted , 13 users are following.

for the past 10 months Ive been nauseous everyday and I've done all the test the doctors can think of. I have brain scan in a few weeks. Should I just go ahead and get get my gallbladder taken out taken out at this point or keep waiting for another possible answer?

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

do you know if you have gallstones? did the scans you had find anything about bad gallbladder? Any vomiting or acid reflux. Do you have trouble digesting foods. Especially fats. I would stay away from fats and spicy food for now. Carbonated drinks too.

• Posted

Ive done the ultrasound and theyve found no gallstones in there. I vomit every morning which is also when my nausea is at its worse. Ive seen a doctor now whos given me supplement to help digest food. Ive been mainly just eating meats because apparently carbs and sugary food also can cause an issue with the digestion.

• Posted

Whatever you do, don't remove your gallbladder unless it's absolutely necessary. I had mine removed 9 weeks ago and it's been a nightmare since. reflux is 10x worse now, chest pain, burning pain in abdomen and back, constipation, all sorts of issues. I wish I had kept it.

• Posted

even with all of the nausea and struggles when you had it? I just wanna be able to actually enjoy food and not throw up daily so im getting to that desperate point

• Posted

I had pain but no nausea. I feel much worse now. Perhaps ask your doctor to give you an h pylori test? The symptoms you have could be an infection. H pylori can wreak havoc on your GI tract. I'd rule that out first. Sorry you are suffering so much.

• Posted

just wondering what is your diet consist of. I hope no dairy or meats. You are still recovering from the trauma. It will take about a year to get back to some normalsy.

• Posted

I haven't removed my gallbladder yet. Im just trying to figure out if anyone else has had any issues like this before where the only symptom is nausea. I have no pain, no diarrhea. just plain nausea and vomiting

• Posted

No dairy, except some kefir. I do eat lowfat meat like turkey and fish. Not even sure what to eat really. No appetite so I don't eat much as it is. I have so much burning pain throughout my chest, abdomen, throat, back, etc. I take acid blockers, gaviscon, etc. nothing helps. it's either bile reflux or h pylori. I was diagnosed with h pylori a little over a month ago and took antibiotics but only got through 4 days before having a serious reaction to the antibiotics. Docs won't give me anything else until I get allergy tested in a few weeks as I'm allergic to penicillin and sulpha. Stool test was negative for the bacteria but because I take a PPI that could be a false result. Am in a lot of pain and miserable. Hard not to blame it on the surgery. I had some issues before with pain but they were nothing compared to this. sigh.

• Posted

Geesh im sorry you're going through all of that, and according to all the tests I should be one of the healthiest people ever.

• Posted

i read on the internet that broccoli and probiotics help fight h pylori. i dont know if you can tolerate that though

• Posted

i had my gallblader out 1.5 years ago- no stones but incredible nausea. lots of tests but finally had a hida scan which revealed my gallbladder was not functioning . my advice/ find a doctor who will listen to you. i hope you feel better soon

• Posted

thanks ill try to find one, did you have tons of pain getting used to not having it?

• Posted

Can I ask what your HIDA SCAN percentage was? Did you have pain? if so where was the pain located? did you burp alot? Did your symptoms come and go? Were you back to normal after removing your gallbladder? I am having the same problems. a month ago, all of a sudden, I started having nausea and when i tried to eat, i could only eat a few bites and would feel very full. then an hour later i would get hungry and again, and my stomach near the belly button area would growl and have hunger / cramping / burning pain. I could not eat any cooked food. I could only eat raw carrots, raw broccoli, yogurt, apples, watermelon, coconut water. I had long winded burping but i have had that all my life. First, they did a Upper GI endoscopy with a biopsy for h pylori. that only showed "mild gastritis in the gastric antrum" but my gastro doctor said that should have healed in 2 weeks and that the gastritis was probably there before all this started. So, then we do a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and that was normal. Then we do a HIDA Scan and that showed 26% BUT my Gastro doctor says that is borderline and since i am not having pain under the lower rib on my right side and the pain is not going to the back that it is not the gallbladder. The we do a celiac test which is negative. Then we do a calprotectant stool test for crhons disease which is also negative. Then after 20 days since all this started, i do a colonoscopy and that too is normal. then after the colonoscopy, i come home and all of a sudden i can eat again with no nausea. then day by day i am feeling normal, and eating normal and no pain. That lasted for 12 days and then 2 days ago, my symptoms returned and now i have hunger, burning, cramping pain around the belly button area. and can't eat much, and have nausea. i go to another gastro doctor for a second opinion and he doesn't put much value on the HIDA scan and says the test can give different results every time you do one. He says that in India, they don't even use HIDA scan. He has me scheduled to a ultra sound of the gall bladder on wednesday. He also says that it could be functional dyspepsia. first gastro said i had IBS. Don't really know what to do now. At this point, I hope the Ultra Sound shows huge stones so at least we know what the problem is. My question is that how bad is a 26% reading on HIDA scan with NO pain on the upper right side where the gall bladder is?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.